4.0gpa Overkill for Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemonemo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I will be a senior in college this semester and am re-thinking my career choice. I have worked really hard and have a 4.0 gpa through 6 semesters of college. I come from a family of physicians (everyone except my parents). My grandpa, professors at schools, and even friends have always pushed me to go to med school. Ever since I was young, I wanted to go to med school.

However, I don't know if its truly fits who I am. Other people take mission trips to Honduras etc. to set up clinics and help poverty stricken people down there. Honestly, that would be the last thing I would want to do. My sister came home last night with a sprained ankle and wanted me to look at it...honestly I didn't even want to look at it "just take some Advil and you'll be fine!". Also, I couldn't imagine doing any "procedures" in Med school. Anytime I am in a situation like that in a lab class I would always prefer someone else to dissect the pig etc, I don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong.

Over the summer I did research and didn't necessarily enjoy it. However, I really enjoyed being in a hospital. I enjoy working in a credible, reputable, and prestigious place. I also like being the bearer of knowledge and an "expert" that people go to for advice. I don't know what to do. I spoke with someone else that recommended going into pharmacy...maybe clinical but I would hate retail. I need some advice at this point!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go to med school just because you can. Do what you enjoy.

This is why medical school ADCOMs want to see a lot of shadowing on their applicant's CV. Get to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you like being the bearer of knowledge and an expert, you should pursue the MD. The whole not wanting to set up a clinic in a underserved country IMO isn't a big deal. You can be a Dr. and just focus on clinical work. There lots of specialties in the MD world to choose from. I think you would be disappointed pursuing pharmacy. You can suggest alternative methods to the MD but at the end of the day they have the last say and most of the time will choose their choice over yours. I've heard the only progressive practices really utilize a pharmacist's clinical suggestions.

What/Which "procedures" in MS can you not imagine doing? I'm sure once you do a few you'll be more than capable of doing said procedures competently

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So what do you want to do?

It sounds the only thing that interest you is the prestige

Try working in a retail pharmacy and see if you like it. Volunteer in a hospital or shadow some pharmacists to see the clinical side... Try it out and see if you enjoy that. If youre family is full of MDs then shadow them for a day and see if you'd enjoy it. You don't wanna go the MD route and spend half a decade in school just to hate your job. Follow a career path you'll ENJOY. Just because your GPA is a 4.0 doesn't mean you're too good for pharmacy school lol.

Don't just shadow health care professionals. Try somethings else to widen your horizons of mind.

Please elaborate, I have shadowed clinical pharmacists and spent time behind the counter of a retail pharmacy. I definitely could see myself doing clinical. Also, I really enjoy the business side of pharmacy. I think a pharmacy administration/healthcare administration residency after pharmacy school would really appeal to me.

The term "clinical pharmacist" doesn't really mean anything of prestige. When we graduate pharmacy school we ARE all clinical pharmacists whether we are working at a retail or in a hospital setting. When you shadowed your clinical pharmacist what exactly was he/she doing? Were they diagnosing, performing physical exams, and prescribing medications? If this interests you then you should go to medical school no debates. Clinical pharmacists in hospital settings like this are just mid-level practitioners practicing within a very limited scope. Why not just go for the full scope of practice and become an MD/DO? Plus you would likely require a PGY1/2 to be a "clinical pharmacist." Let us do some math, so far you've done 6 semesters which is 3 years. 3 years + 4 years of Pharm.D + 2 years of post graduate training = 9 years just to practice as a mid-level practitioner with a very limited scope? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile