4 interviews, low mcat, would you retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I start preparing to retake the MCAT on April 2006?

• Definitely start preparing to retake on April

Votes: 29 17.8%
  • Don't retake you should get in

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • hmm, I am not sure...

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Wait until January if no acceptances then prepare to retake

Votes: 82 50.3%
  • Not enough information to give a good opinion

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • I only looked at this post for I thought it would be more interesting, so no opinion for you sucker!

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
truethat said:
Agreed, I doubt one exam can determine standardized potential for all people, there are just too many factors in the "do well in MCAT" equation.

Unfortunately the agreed upon predictor of success in med school, however sad, is the MCAT. Well more precisely a combination of MCAT & GPA. But you are very right, there are just too many factors. Nobody knows how close a person was to a 7 in PS (but they got a 6 instead), or a 9 in VR but they got an 8. Maybe the person is a slow reader (i.e. not fast enough to attempt every question in the allotted time so that just 5 more correct question would have made a difference). Maybe if they increased each section of the exam by just 10 minutes the national average may go up. But alas it is not to be. Hopefully the adcoms can look beyond mere numbers. I am yet to hear of anyone getting kicked out of med school for not passing the boards and people with below 20 on MCAT have been admitted in recent years. Most schools have 95+ % passing rate and those who re-take pass on the scond try. Anyway I don't know all the facts of each school so I can't support any claim.

Cheers and good luck

Members don't see this ad.

truethat said:
Hi Orth2006, congrats on your interviews. Where did you interview and who rejected you if I may ask? thanks

I got rejected from MoreHouse & Drexel. Hopefully I fair better in the remaining 3.

:( ok I just got waitlisted at my state school...sigh

truethat said:
:( ok I just got waitlisted at my state school...sigh

While I am sure its not what you had hoped for, a waitlist is a good for med school. Keep your hopes up and write update letters. Good Luck