4 months off before intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WashMe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to finish up 100% of my med school stuff by early February, then I could be on vacation for 4 months until intern year starts in June. Some (non-medical) people are telling me this is a bad idea, but I think it will help me to recharge my batteries. Also, I don't think anything I could do in those 4 months would make or break me for intern year...

You guys have any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an opportunity to finish up 100% of my med school stuff by early February, then I could be on vacation for 4 months until intern year starts in June. Some (non-medical) people are telling me this is a bad idea, but I think it will help me to recharge my batteries. Also, I don't think anything I could do in those 4 months would make or break me for intern year...

It's pretty common.

It's pretty common.

hmm, thanks for the comment drizz, but I guess I'm still left wondering whether it's a good idea lol... smoking crack is also pretty common, but that doesn't make it reasonable :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
As you said, anything you did during those 4 months won't make or break your intern year. I find it much more likely that you would regret going all-out and burning out from lack of recharging batteries than you would regret not having that one extra elective.

If there is something you really want to do to get exposure, by all means go ahead and take an elective in one or two of those months. But if it isn't a burning passion, or if there's something you'd really like to do that you might not have a chance to do later... don't lose any sleep over it. There is always more to learn; there isn't always more time to do the truly important things in life.

As you said, anything you did during those 4 months won't make or break your intern year. I find it much more likely that you would regret going all-out and burning out from lack of recharging batteries than you would regret not having that one extra elective.

If there is something you really want to do to get exposure, by all means go ahead and take an elective in one or two of those months. But if it isn't a burning passion, or if there's something you'd really like to do that you might not have a chance to do later... don't lose any sleep over it. There is always more to learn; there isn't always more time to do the truly important things in life.

Thanks for your opinion, Spurs!

Lots of folks will take a month in that situation and travel overseas on an elective to some place that's safe and where they speak the language. The trick is that with the match in March, the only real month for this is often April, so it takes some advance scheduling to do.

Others do nothing. It won't hurt you any for internship.

Lots of folks will take a month in that situation and travel overseas on an elective to some place that's safe and where they speak the language. The trick is that with the match in March, the only real month for this is often April, so it takes some advance scheduling to do.

Others do nothing. It won't hurt you any for internship.

I only speak English... and personal reasons will keep me from doing an away during those months. I'll probably just do nothing except sleep in till 11am, go to the gym every day, slowly pack up if I match in another city, and maybe spend 1-2 hours most days flipping through something like step up to medicine just to maintain a handle on the management of bread and butter diseases.

I only speak English... and personal reasons will keep me from doing an away during those months. I'll probably just do nothing except sleep in till 11am, go to the gym every day, slowly pack up if I match in another city, and maybe spend 1-2 hours most days flipping through something like step up to medicine just to maintain a handle on the management of bread and butter diseases.

That's totally ok. As someone who's starting residency in the next few days, I'm very happy that 4th year was light. You absolutely do NOT have to bust your ass all of 4th year to be "ready" for residency.

That's totally ok. As someone who's starting residency in the next few days, I'm very happy that 4th year was light. You absolutely do NOT have to bust your ass all of 4th year to be "ready" for residency.

I agree, having started residency two weeks ago.

Having a long block to do some travel, see family, whatever sounds great! If you are sure you don't want to space that break time out at all (for instance taking a month over the winter holiday season or something) I think it sounds like a good plan. Also be aware that a lot of residencies are starting activities in early or mid-June these days so plan to be available by then rather than by July 1.

I agree, having started residency two weeks ago.

Having a long block to do some travel, see family, whatever sounds great! If you are sure you don't want to space that break time out at all (for instance taking a month over the winter holiday season or something) I think it sounds like a good plan. Also be aware that a lot of residencies are starting activities in early or mid-June these days so plan to be available by then rather than by July 1.

Thanks for the information, guys :)

Take as much time off as you possibly can, don't let anyone talk you out if it.

Take as much time off as you possibly can, don't let anyone talk you out if it.

yeah that's what I'm going to do, my last day of medical school will be in mid-February :thumbup:

The fact that your posting this leads me to think you need the break. Take it and have no regrets about it. Once you match your done. Residency is a beast so rest up!

lol, so today an anesthesiology attending asked me about how the rest of my year looks schedule-wise... I told him about my next few rotations then sort of trailed off. He suggested several hardcore IM subspecialty rotations for the end of the year.

I respect this guy, but I think I'm going to have to do my own thing (i.e. nothing) in this case.

That's what I did, traveled, partied, good times. Why would it be a bad idea? You earned a vacation brother!

-
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

I basically took from November to May off of my 4th year. Maybe even earlier then November. Once interviews started, I had bunch of FP/ER/AMB months left, so I didn't read, work hard, or anything. Best idea ever.

Also, started intern year this week and everyone expects NOTHING out of you...lol. The 4th year ortho gunners know 100x more then I do...ahah. :D