1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

4- vs 6-year programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Transcend, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Transcend

Transcend Hopeful Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm currently taking pharm reqs and it's still a while before I'll be applying to pharm school, but I was wondering -- is it generally more difficult trying to transfer into P3 of a 6-year program, as opposed to applying to a 4-year program?

Also, are schools fine as long as you've taken the courses that they require, or do you also have to make sure that the courses are of a certain amount of credits? For instance, one pharm school may have the required courses listed on their site as "Calculus - 4 semester hours", "Microbiology - 4 semester hours", etc. However, if those courses offered at my school are 3 credits each, does that mean that I would have to take them elsewhere?

#1 Transcend, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Storm90

Storm90 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yes it's more difficult transfering into a 6-year program. 6 year programs already have the class they intended on, but sometimes a student fails to meet the requirements which leads to the ability to transfer in. That means you'd be competing for a few seats only, compared to the many seats available each year for 4 year programs. The whole thing about semester hours/credits/credit hours is how each school arranges their curriculum. Generally, they all add up the same, but you can always check with the program contacts.

4. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know at our school we may get 1-3 transfer students a year. If you aren't in the PharmD program your odds of transferring in are next to zero. So I'd say its much harder to transfer than apply after your necessary coursework and PCAT.

5. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    1-3? I believe we've had 0 transfers into the pharmacy program for at least the past few years. The only transfers into my year's pharmacy program are the people who transfered into 3rd year pharmacy after the end of the third year of pharmsci.