+4 year BSC degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oilersfan69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Im doing my bsc in 4.5 years... i only have 3 more courses to do in my half semester left next year... ill also probably be working part time.. i was wondering if doing ur bsc for more than 4 years will hurt your application? i only took 4 courses my second semster first year and decided instead of takin summer courses that id do 4 courses each semester in my fourth year and have another half year left for the remaining 3 courses left. Does it look good to go Part time or should i do 4 courses for next year as well?

Most ppl finish their bsc in 4 years and then get accepted... did anyone who is in optometry right now go longer than 4 years.. If so, what did u say when u were questioned in ur interview as to why u do did ur degree in more than 4 years?

aam0050

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about that at ALL. Getting your degree in 4.5 years is still excellent!! Everyone's situations different, each person is reviewed not just quantitatively like that. In your case, the amount of time it took for you is a non-issue, you did a great job. :)

I graduated in the summer, just a few months over four years. I even switched majors in between and worked on my biology degree for only about 2.5 years of the time I was in college. I spoke about what I was majoring in before and why, but nothing was even asked about that.

Hope that helps some.. Best of luck to you!

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im doing my bsc in 4.5 years... i only have 3 more courses to do in my half semester left next year... ill also probably be working part time.. i was wondering if doing ur bsc for more than 4 years will hurt your application? i only took 4 courses my second semster first year and decided instead of takin summer courses that id do 4 courses each semester in my fourth year and have another half year left for the remaining 3 courses left. Does it look good to go Part time or should i do 4 courses for next year as well?

Most ppl finish their bsc in 4 years and then get accepted... did anyone who is in optometry right now go longer than 4 years.. If so, what did u say when u were questioned in ur interview as to why u do did ur degree in more than 4 years?

depends, are you thinking about applying to Waterloo? Waterloo, typically looks for students that have carried a full course load (as per a former director of admissions). Though I do know a current OD student at UW that did not do lab sections concurrently with lecture, completing them instead during the summer term. US schools prob are not as critical, I wouldn't expect it to hurt you much, if at all. Good Luck!

j-dawg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I don't think you need to worry about the number of years that you did your degree in at all. I originally wanted to do research but after a horrible experience decided to do optometry. That meant I had to take an extra year to finish pre-requistes for school, but I still got into SUNY and Berkeley for fall 2007. I don't know about Waterloo (their admissions cycles runs later) but otherwise I wouldn't sweat it.

prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

I'm a first year right now... and I took 6 years to finish my degree (3 major changes = :eek: ) All but one of those semesters was full time.

I wasn't questioned in my interview about how long it took to get my degree. Of course, they do want to know how you came to pick optometry, and part of that story for me involved those major changes.

itek2OD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
keep the course load up and you will be fine - 4 courses or more if you're full time.