40 hours a week? 170K average? seems too good to be true

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because they are making a killing w/ real estate. Do you really think that line makes sense anyway? Who's to say you are supposed "peon" working here. The profession will allow you to make good money here as well thank you very much. With a bunch of work you can be KING PEON! That's suits me fine.

Please stay there and be a king peon. Best wishes!

Members don't see this ad.

I rather be the ruler of the swampy, disgusting hell than serve as one of many little peons in your beautiful, clear heaven. Having lived in San Jose and Oceanside for 20 years, I do miss the weather once in a while. There's a reason why every year more people born in California are moving out than into the state.

where did you get that idea? if that statement is at all true then 2 of the reasons are:

1. moving out of CA to attend dental school elsewhere
2. its too crowded by people from other states.

i just love how people talk trash about it and yet many would love to be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
where did you get that idea? if that statement is at all true then 2 of the reasons are:

1. moving out of CA to attend dental school elsewhere
2. its too crowded by people from other states.

i just love how people talk trash about it and yet many would love to be there.

"Far more residents left the Golden State than arrived from other states" (http://www.planetizen.com/node/29041)

This is a very well know statistic. I'm surprised you've never heard it before. I've read about this repeatedly in major newspapers before Daurang mentioned it here.

#1 and #2 from your list don't make much sense. Did you ever think that the high cost of living is driving out a huge chunk of the population? Not everyone will make the kind of money we (future dentists) will make.

"Far more residents left the Golden State than arrived from other states" (http://www.planetizen.com/node/29041)

This is a very well know statistic. I'm surprised you've never heard it before. I've read about this repeatedly in major newspapers before Daurang mentioned it here.

#1 and #2 from your list don't make much sense. Did you ever think that the high cost of living is driving out a huge chunk of the population? Not everyone will make the kind of money we (future dentists) will make.

Good thing the CA dentists (Ahem, peons) will make enough money to afford the cost of living there and I've heard once that you can expect some good weather there as well.

New thread title: Please list all the reason's why a dentist shouldn't want to practice in CA.

:hijacked: totally dude

New thread title: Please list all the reason's why a dentist shouldn't want to practice in CA.

1. Massive smug problem emminating from SF and Hollywood (thank you south park)
2. Your governor says "california" funny.

1. Massive smug problem emminating from SF and Hollywood (thank you south park)
2. Your governor says "california" funny.

yeah but my governor could kick your governor's ass. so could i.:laugh:

I always dreamed to work in the San Diego area. I just decided to go to a rural area because it is much easier to make a great income when your the only fish in the pond.

I'm not singling out CA. I'm saying any metro area where there are dentists everywhere and the cost of living is high. In these areas wages for staff are higher and staff wages are the largest part of your overhead. We personally pay our hygeintists an hourly rate of $26 and $30. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard that hygientists in CA can make up to and above $50 an hour. Now I know that fees are higher in CA but I can't imagine that the charge almost double what I charge for a cleaning. We pay 2 of our assistants who both have 19 years experience $16 an hour. We just hired a new assistant for $13. I would not want to practice in the Minneapolis area just due to the compettion.

Now I undrstand rural areas are not for everyone but if anyone thinks they will graduate from dental school and make 200,000 a year in a metro area just because they have DDS they are poorly informed.

This is all just my opinion

I always dreamed to work in the San Diego area. I just decided to go to a rural area because it is much easier to make a great income when your the only fish in the pond.

I'm not singling out CA. I'm saying any metro area where there are dentists everywhere and the cost of living is high. In these areas wages for staff are higher and staff wages are the largest part of your overhead. We personally pay our hygeintists an hourly rate of $26 and $30. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard that hygientists in CA can make up to and above $50 an hour. Now I know that fees are higher in CA but I can't imagine that the charge almost double what I charge for a cleaning. We pay 2 of our assistants who both have 19 years experience $16 an hour. We just hired a new assistant for $13. I would not want to practice in the Minneapolis area just due to the compettion.

Now I undrstand rural areas are not for everyone but if anyone thinks they will graduate from dental school and make 200,000 a year in a metro area just because they have DDS they are poorly informed.

This is all just my opinion

Please don't roast me for talking about something I'm not all that educated jobwise on as a Pre-dent but I disagree w/ your belief that high earnings cannot be achieved in a metro area. My wife worked as a Pedo and Ortho assistant for almost 9 years and the going wage was anywhere from $13 to 21. That's not staggeringly different from rural. A very close friend of mine is a managing partner in a slew of corporate offices. He has made it clear that achieving 200k is very achievable granted you are willing to sell out (not illegally though) to corporate dentistry. If you prefer to run away from the corporate crap I have talked to a few close dentists in the area, mostly the one's my wife worked for, and have been told obtaining a 150k+ shortly after starting work, after a year or so, is quite achievable. Again, don't roast me for that cuz' I of course am not certain and could have been fed a bunch of lies. Above all else I believe the big money that so many of these threads are about can be obtained anywhere w/ that determination stuff. Even in crazy SoCal "brah"!

[. Above all else I believe the big money that so many of these threads are about can be obtained anywhere w/ that determination stuff. Even in crazy SoCal "brah"![/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more with that statement. Best of luck

Please don't roast me for talking about something I'm not all that educated jobwise on as a Pre-dent but I disagree w/ your belief that high earnings cannot be achieved in a metro area.I'm not saying that you can't in fact you can earn a lot more money in metreo areas if you are the right person. I'm just stating that it's a lot more mork to get those high earnings My wife worked as a Pedo and Ortho assistant for almost 9 years and the going wage was anywhere from $13 to 21. That's not staggeringly different from rural. A very close friend of mine is a managing partner in a slew of corporate offices. He has made it clear that achieving 200k is very achievable granted you are willing to sell out (not illegally though) to corporate dentistry. If you prefer to run away from the corporate crap I have talked to a few close dentists in the area, mostly the one's my wife worked for, and have been told obtaining a 150k+ shortly after starting work, after a year or so, is quite achievable. Again, don't roast me for that cuz' I of course am not certain and could have been fed a bunch of lies. Above all else I believe the big money that so many of these threads are about can be obtained anywhere w/ that determination stuff.You are very correct and that is what I have been saying. I guess you could call me lazy but I just don't want to have to work that hard at this whole tooth business. Even in crazy SoCal "brah"!
Good luck next year

We personally pay our hygeintists an hourly rate of $26 and $30. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard that hygientists in CA can make up to and above $50 an hour.
Quad scales in CA rune about $250/quad. Cleanings run about $80-100. So, hygienists are making dentists between $30-200/hr and a good CA hygienist will pickup quad scales the dentist didn't even notice... that's their job. In addition, other than needing to work in a dental office, they're pretty autonomous from administering local anesthesia to scheduling. $50/hr is a pretty good deal, IMHO. Its almost like they hygienists pay big bucks to rent a chair.