40 hr/week research internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeastfromthEast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for some some some research internships. One of them deals with cancer, which i am very interested in. But.... its 40 hours a week. Do you think thats too much? I kinda wanted to relax over the summer, but it pays well (12 dollars/hr) and is about something I am actually interested in. What do you guys think? Has anyone every had experience doing 40 hr/week jobs/internships?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as there aren't any hidden hours in the position (on call, a TON of outside writing/reading, etc.) 40 hours a week is cake. I'm taking the year off between undergrad and med school, working 45-50 hrs/week. I honestly have so much free-time on my hands I don't know what to do with myself sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
40 hours/week is great, you have so much free time with that kind of schedule (really, trust me! it's amazing) because when you get home you don't have to worry about homework like you would in school. All of the time from 6 PM to 12 PM is free. And weekends off of course. Plus at $12/hour you can rack up some serious money and help offset that student debt, with some spare change left over to have a good time with your friends. I am only working ~25-30 hours a week right now since I am trying to slow down before med school starts, and it's unbelievable how much free time I have. So beautiful.

This is a great opportunity to be productive with a summer. Also, 90% of the working world work more than 40 hrs/wk... so it's really not much to complain about. Work any less and you would probably not get anything significant done. Research takes a lot of time... to get results, you have to put in the hours.

I am applying for some some some research internships. One of them deals with cancer, which i am very interested in. But.... its 40 hours a week. Do you think thats too much? I kinda wanted to relax over the summer, but it pays well (12 dollars/hr) and is about something I am actually interested in. What do you guys think? Has anyone every had experience doing 40 hr/week jobs/internships?

I would do that over the summer.

I'm really wanting to do some research this summer, and if i get payed..even better.

Is it too late to apply for research internships? I don't have any research experience, but I'm really trying to get some kind of exposure

I did SURF last year, which was also 40 hrs a week. It made me appreciate how painstaking research is, while at the same time made me glad i wasn't getting a PhD or MD/PhD