40 pt difference between Form 1 & NBME 16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i_o

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope you're keeping it real. I'm having a melt down t-15 days from sitting for Step 1. Did Uworld form 1, crushed it, scored 91st percentile, 262. Did NBME 16, got a 225...Seriously, wtf. I'm freaking out because most people say NBMEs are more predictive of actual Step scores. My last NBME ~1 week ago was about the same, 220. I am typically scoring 70-80% on random, timed 40 question Qbank sets.

I honestly don't know what to do. Keep doing Uworld? Another pass through FA? My dream score is 240+. I am an average student but have been putting in 14hr days for Step study. I am desperate enough to be even considering shelling out for Yousmle :(

Guys, help me keep the dream alive. What do you think is going on here? How can there be such a huge discrepancy between the two tests? Did any of you have/are any of you having this experience? What was a better predictor of your score?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Hope you're keeping it real. I'm having a melt down t-15 days from sitting for Step 1. Did Uworld form 1, crushed it, scored 91st percentile, 262. Did NBME 16, got a 225...Seriously, wtf. I'm freaking out because most people say NBMEs are more predictive of actual Step scores. My last NBME ~1 week ago was about the same, 220. I am typically scoring 70-80% on random, timed 40 question Qbank sets.

I honestly don't know what to do. Keep doing Uworld? Another pass through FA? My dream score is 240+. I am an average student but have been putting in 14hr days for Step study. I am desperate enough to be even considering shelling out for Yousmle :(

Guys, help me keep the dream alive. What do you think is going on here? How can there be such a huge discrepancy between the two tests? Did any of you have/are any of you having this experience? What was a better predictor of your score?
UWSA is like UWorld. NBMEs are different. They don't try and trick you. This is most likely why your scores are lower. Review NBME 16 and look at whether you missed questions because you overthought/second guessed.

How many questions did you miss in NBME 16?

Thanks

UWSA is like UWorld. NBMEs are different. They don't try and trick you. This is most likely why your scores are lower. Review NBME 16 and look at whether you missed questions because you overthought/second guessed.

Straight up a lot of the stuff I missed I felt like I just didn't know. I didn't think the questions were complicated, but I felt like they were asking random stuff like "what ligament goes here" or "which medication is first line for X." How do I fill in these gaps? I used FA & USMLE Rx flash cards extensively for my first pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow!! Crazy thing, I scored a 225 on NBME 16 also and when I took UWSA1 I scored a 249. I already took my exam about 2 weeks ago and I haven't received my score yet. If you are anything like me, you are probably not realizing that NBME asks much more straightforward questions. I felt that Uworld required more thinking and understanding of concepts than any NBME. Do not overthink, read the questions slowly and carefully, and try not looking at the answer choices unless you have no clue what the answer is. Seeing all those answers together on the screen can cause some serious confusion in your brain, and this happened to me on exam day.

Fill in the gaps with FA.

Wow!! Crazy thing, I scored a 225 on NBME 16 also and when I took UWSA1 I scored a 249. I already took my exam about 2 weeks ago and I haven't received my score yet. If you are anything like me, you are probably not realizing that NBME asks much more straightforward questions. I felt that Uworld required more thinking and understanding of concepts than any NBME. Do not overthink, read the questions slowly and carefully, and try not looking at the answer choices unless you have no clue what the answer is. Seeing all those answers together on the screen can cause some serious confusion in your brain, and this happened to me on exam day.

Fill in the gaps with FA.

Cheers, mate. Here's to hoping our scores are more like Form 1 lol.

Going over these questions, a lot of the ones I missed were fact-based (e.g., tx for post-op N/V, MOST important cause of X). Kind of makes me mad :yeahright: