1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

???

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by xoomn, Jul 20, 2002.

1. xoomn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What is the difference b/w osmotic pressure and hydrostatic pressure?

2. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member
    7+ Year Member

The flow of water across a membrane in response to differing concentrations of solutes on either side - osmosis - generates a pressure across the membrane called osmotic pressure. Osmotic pressure is defined as the hydrostatic pressure required to stop the flow of water, and thus, osmotic and hydrostatic pressures are, for all intents and purposes, equivalent.

3. Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member

Well, but they're due to different things, aren't they? As you said, osmotic pressure is due to varying ion concentrations across a membrane, but hydrostatic pressure is the actual physical pressure that the fluid exerts on something, like blood pressure. So, in a sense there could be a situation in which they are not equivalent, right? Correct me if I'm wrong because I lost all this info the moment after the MCAT.

4. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member
    7+ Year Member

Rapid Decomp,
    I pulled up the info from a reference book, which further states:

Diffusion of water across a membrane - osmosis - generates a pressure called osmotic pressure. If the pressure in the compartment into which water is flowing is raised to the equivalent of the osmotic pressure, movement of water will stop. This pressure is often called hydrostatic ('water-stopping') pressure.

5. wgu

wgu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

out of curiousity, are you referring to a question on the Kaplan test drive exam?