41R, 3.90GPA, weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deaded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 41R
B15, V13, P13

cumulative GPA: 3.900
(based on my school's calculation)

My ECs:
Research - I started in September 2009. It consists of animal (rat) experiments involving applying anesthetic, monitoring the animal, and simple surgery. This next school year I will be taking part in an undergrad research program where I'll conduct an experiment and write a paper.
Boy Scouts - Been involved from July 2002 to present. Held Assistant Patrol Leader, Assistant Senior Patrol Leader positions at Boy Scout level. At Venture Scout level held Vice President position. Possibly going for an Assistant Scoutmaster position within a year. I don't know how relevant this would be; it's just the EC I've been involved with the longest.
School Honors Program - Basically I took some honors level courses in the humanities, social sciences, and general chemistry and organic chemistry.
No hospital/clinic experience but I am looking for some

I'm going into my fourth year as a Bio major this fall. Basically I'm wondering if I should apply this year with such weak ECs or if I should focus on getting clinic experience and finishing that research project and apply next year.

If I apply this year, which schools won't mind my not having clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely wait a year and gain those clinical experiences.

Many schools including mine, will automatically reject you pre-interview if you lack those clinical experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to start getting clinical experience? I know I won't be able to get a letter of rec. I'm wondering if just starting a position will be above the bare minimum for consideration.

Either way, I've started calling different hospitals to find an opportunity and I'm going to ask my cousin's husband (a surgeon) if I can shadow him for a few workdays.

From personal experience and hearing other people's stories, the whole application process is very very random so don't worry too much about your lack of ECs. Definitely put in some volunteering/shadowing hours though. A friend of mine was accepted into Stanford, a very research heavy school, with only one summer of research and didn't have that many spectacular ECs as well.

With your stats, you're bound to get in SOMEWHERE 41 on the MCAT is already crazy enough :eek: Good luck!

MCAT: 41R
B15, V13, P13

cumulative GPA: 3.900
(based on my school's calculation)

My ECs:
Research - I started in September 2009. It consists of animal (rat) experiments involving applying anesthetic, monitoring the animal, and simple surgery. This next school year I will be taking part in an undergrad research program where I'll conduct an experiment and write a paper.
Boy Scouts - Been involved from July 2002 to present. Held Assistant Patrol Leader, Assistant Senior Patrol Leader positions at Boy Scout level. At Venture Scout level held Vice President position. Possibly going for an Assistant Scoutmaster position within a year. I don't know how relevant this would be; it's just the EC I've been involved with the longest.
School Honors Program - Basically I took some honors level courses in the humanities, social sciences, and general chemistry and organic chemistry.
No hospital/clinic experience but I am looking for some

I'm going into my fourth year as a Bio major this fall. Basically I'm wondering if I should apply this year with such weak ECs or if I should focus on getting clinic experience and finishing that research project and apply next year.

If I apply this year, which schools won't mind my not having clinical experience?

A 41 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA will get you into most schools. While your EC's aren't lengthy, you have some good ones. You honestly don't have much to worry about. Most here would sell both of their kidney's for stats like yours.

I would wait a year and beef up your ECs. With an more optimal application you can have better choices among competitive schools instead of being lucky to get a look by a few and run the risk of having zero acceptances after the expense of applying. Do it right; do it once.

Besides more research, clinical experience, and physician shadowing, look for peer leadership and teaching opportunities. The Boy Scout involvement is terrific for long-term nonmedical community service and possibly teaching.

A 41 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA will get you into most schools. While your EC's aren't lengthy, you have some good ones. You honestly don't have much to worry about. Most here would sell both of their kidney's for stats like yours.
No. He's lacking the most important experience. How is he going to write a personal statement with 0 clinical experience? Even if he starts shadowing and focuses on that, it woud look forced considering the recency of the activity.
OP: The way it stands now, you are very unlikely to get into any schools. If you do get in somewhere, it will likely be a "backup." Get decent clinical experience between now and June (at least 150 hours or so of volunteering and some shadowing), so you can have a nice response from schools when you apply.

If you gain some clinical experience and wait one year, you could literally write your own ticket. Seriously, wait a year. It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Truthfully, you might be able to apply now and still be OK but if you go really hard towards those clinical experiences, while continuing your non-clinicals, you will be an awesome candidate at pretty much every school.

And you can have both of my kidneys for those stats, including a lack of ECs (I'd just beef them up before applying). Hell, I'll throw in my grandma's kidneys too. And my grandpa's heart.

Wait a year??? Seriously.

I've notice that the student doctor network is filled with members who insist that waiting a year is the best plan for almost every situation. Waiting a year is NOT for everyone, especially if your plans consists of random bouts of shadowing and various clinical experiences. If you are not willing to wait a year, then don't.

Extracurriculars are important, but they certainly do not have to be school related. You can still write a great personal statement that accurately defines your passions for medicine without having to overly stress your ECs. Its a PERSONAL statement, meaning you can construct it any way you see fit.

This is your life... and only yours. If you are passionate about medicine and would like to apply this cycle, then do it. Don't let a bunch of strangers on the SDN network deter you from your dream. Talk to friends, loved ones, and if you are religious, God. Please, do not let these SDN members take such an important decision away from you.

Wait a year??? Seriously.

I've notice that the student doctor network is filled with members who insist that waiting a year is the best plan for almost every situation. Waiting a year is NOT for everyone, especially if your plans consists of random bouts of shadowing and various clinical experiences. If you are not willing to wait a year, then don't.

Extracurriculars are important, but they certainly do not have to be school related. You can still write a great personal statement that accurately defines your passions for medicine without having to overly stress your ECs. Its a PERSONAL statement, meaning you can construct it any way you see fit.

This is your life... and only yours. If you are passionate about medicine and would like to apply this cycle, then do it. Don't let a bunch of strangers on the SDN network deter you from your dream. Talk to friends, loved ones, and if you are religious, God. Please, do not let these SDN members take such an important decision away from you.

:confused:

No one's telling him to NOT apply. And if the OP really felt that confident about applying this cycle, he wouldn't have come to the Internet(TM) asking for advice, now would he?

Those numbers are golden and +1 for waiting a year to beef up those ECs.

:confused:

No one's telling him to NOT apply. And if the OP really felt that confident about applying this cycle, he wouldn't have come to the Internet(TM) asking for advice, now would he?

Those numbers are golden and +1 for waiting a year to beef up those ECs.

:thumbup:

No one is "deterring" him from his dreams. The majority of the people on this forum are encouraging him to improve his chances of admission to medical school. Yes, his academic stats are superb but that's not everything; ECs help adcoms get a sense of who he is as a person and allows him to stand out.

OP, with those stats, you already have your foot in the door, no doubt about that. The extra ECs will just be icing on the cake. :)