???????????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruler

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the treatment of BPPV?

Members don't see this ad.

As an Audiology student, I have been taught that canalith repositioning maneuvers can be extremely beneficial. Also, at home exercises may help alleviate any symptoms as well.

There are a number of treatments for BPPV, all of which attempt to move displaced otoconia from the semi-circular canals back into the utricle. These repositioning maneuvers include: the Gans repositioning maneuver, the canalith repositioning maneuver, the Semont maneuver, the barbecue roll, Appiani maneuver, Cassani maneuver, etc... The treatment chosen really depends on the affected canal (PC-BPPV, HC-BPPV, AC-BPPV) and patient physiology.

Although the Brandt-Daroff exercises were once used for habituation of the vertigo that accompanies BPPV, science has pointed at the futility of such therapies (it seems that repositioning the displaced otoconia is the only efficacious treatment).

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but a quick literature review could have answered your question... ;) If you are wanting to learn how these treatments are performed, I would certainly recommend taking a class or visiting your local clinician.

Upon further review, I see you have asked similar questions in different areas of this site (in fact, all of your posts seem to be asking vague questions like this and have raised a few eyebrows). It seems that you are wanting help on your homework, as a number of random path/treatment questions have been asked. I highly recommend that you do the research yourself; you are working with REAL patients and REAL conditions, so should really understand this information on your own. Remember, as a graduate student, you should be integrating, retaining, and applying the info. you have learned. Asking questions on studentdoc like this will not benefit you (or your patients) in the slightest. Listen in class and/or do a lit review. :thumbdown: