4th MCAT retake? applying to MD/PhD this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoberPony

Reaction score
Edit: removing for privacy reasons. The advice given still holds! Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you should retake seeing as you have the matriculant average MCAT. Be proud of your score, it's a big achievement! I think a fourth retake after scoring well this time would start to raise questions about whether you are letting perfectionism get in the way of progressing to the next step.

Reactions: 1 users
We consider the MCAT to be binary...ie, we need it to be a certain number for the med school, but once its over that number, it doesn't matter any more. A 516 would hit our threshold. I wouldn't think any better of the applicant if they hit a 521+ - what we are looking for once you hit the threshold is commitment to science, an ability to explain your project, a realistic view of physician scientist training, etc.

We've had great students at the 90th percentile and terrible students at the 100th percentile. The score is just a score.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above advice from MSTPadvocate. Some other MSTPs will consider highly your application with your current 514/513, particularly with a strong research experience as you have. PM me if you have questions that you don't want to disclose publicly.

I don't think you should retake seeing as you have the matriculant average MCAT. Be proud of your score, it's a big achievement! I think a fourth retake after scoring well this time would start to raise questions about whether you are letting perfectionism get in the way of progressing to the next step.

Yes I was afraid of that and I guess my time would be better spent doing other things. Just worried about the potential rejections due to weaker stats. I did not realize that perfectionism is so frowned upon, but that’s good to know— thanks!

Last edited:
Agree with above advice from MSTPadvocate. Some other MSTPs will consider highly your application with your current 514/513, particularly with a strong research experience as you have. PM me if you have questions that you don't want to disclose publicly.
We consider the MCAT to be binary...ie, we need it to be a certain number for the med school, but once its over that number, it doesn't matter any more. A 516 would hit our threshold. I wouldn't think any better of the applicant if they hit a 521+ - what we are looking for once you hit the threshold is commitment to science, an ability to explain your project, a realistic view of physician scientist training, etc.

We've had great students at the 90th percentile and terrible students at the 100th percentile. The score is just a score.

I appreciate your response. If it won’t really help me then I suppose it’s not worth it. I know it’s a bit neurotic to be asking about retaking when my MCAT score is in 90+ percentile... I think my worries stem from someone who told me that when they were on the admission committee at a top 5 program they had an MCAT cutoff of 36 for all applicants. From the answers I’ve gotten it seem that taking a 4th time would hurt me even if I got a 520+, so I’m leaning towards not taking it again!

Is there anything that you can tell us about the "filtering" process that would be helpful? My principal concern at this stage is getting past the filtering and being offered as many secondaries and interviews as possible. From what I understand, it's a whole different ballgame past that point.

I spoke with an admissions office at a top program at length about the specific mechanisms of the application process- who sees the application and in what order, how filtering happens, etc... They did specify a functional MCAT percentile cutoff. (I know someone in the program who was accepted with a score below this [exceptional applicant]).

Can you suggest way to craft our application such that we can avoid being filtered and survive to the next step? An approach to communication with admissions offices that would be helpful to this end?

I have a very similar profile to the OP: 90th percentile on the MCAT[514], weak GPA (3.5, I don't know about OP but I have a couple of Cs and 1 D). Super strong research Ugrad and in 2.5 years research job after Bachelors.

Every program is different. Some of the cut-offs (particularly: MCAT, cGPA, and clinical hours) are pushed by the SOM on the MD/PhD. Some highly ranked programs will automatically cut you by one (or more) of the academic benchmarks. This is why you apply 5-10 dream schools, but you assess your competitive level and apply to 5-10 other MSTPs, and you have some large non-MSTP MD/PhD programs as another target.

Look at the table B-8 of the AAMC Facts for MD/PhD applicants and matriculants, and arrange by Matriculants/Applicants. Order your MSTPs and try to include programs with a larger ratio, and who admit at least 4-5 students per class.

In my own program, the committee cares most about "super strong research" and LORs validating that... but that is because you are above our generous cut-offs. One number doesn't define you. PM me if you need.