4th year away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chargersfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you are doing away rotations at an institute you really hope to shine at to get an interview invite, should you do a "sub-i" type rotation or an elective type.

For example, I'm going into IM and I could do either a sub-I inpatient rotation or an elective GI, cardiology, etc rotation.

Which one do people recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a sub-I, chances are that you will be working with the same attending for the entire month, which would make it easier for you to get a stronger letter. If you do an elective, you may not be working with the same attending the whole time you are there. You might want to clarify this with the program to which you are applying, because I would think it would have an impact on your decision.

I would go with what your interested in or things that your school might be weaker in. I did 3 aways: Pediatric ER (my school didn't have one), Pediatric Hem/Onc (my school has a much smaller volume and I knew the team where I did my away since I researched with them), Pediatric ID at St. Jude (wanted to experience the program but didn't want oncology due to them not in COG). My favorite was the ER as I met a ton of residents and worked with a core group of faculty for the whole month. It was also the most hands on rotation I have had.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with what your interested in or things that your school might be weaker in. I did 3 aways: Pediatric ER (my school didn't have one), Pediatric Hem/Onc (my school has a much smaller volume and I knew the team where I did my away since I researched with them), Pediatric ID at St. Jude (wanted to experience the program but didn't want oncology due to them not in COG). My favorite was the ER as I met a ton of residents and worked with a core group of faculty for the whole month. It was also the most hands on rotation I have had.

Out of curiosity where did you do your peds ER rotation?

When you are doing away rotations at an institute you really hope to shine at to get an interview invite, should you do a "sub-i" type rotation or an elective type.

For example, I'm going into IM and I could do either a sub-I inpatient rotation or an elective GI, cardiology, etc rotation.

Which one do people recommend?

Do which ever one will get you more face time with the PD and residents at the place where you want to end up. Probably doesn't matter what you call it. You cold theoretically do a second rotation at the same institution and have it be in a subspecialized field, and ask the doc to write you a LoR. PD like seeing LoR from docs they know.