4th year clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan_eyeball

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was going to write that I only have only two more days at my clinical rotation at the Veteran Hospital here in St. Louis. I will truly miss it when I leave, and just have had the best time here. You have a superb computer system that allows you to see a whole patient record, and order labs that are essential in a diagnosis. I would highly recommend a rotation at a Veteran's Hospital because you will see more pathology than most other sites. I couldn't even begin to name the number of interesting cases that I've had, and you get to meet WWII Vets and numerous other hereos that have served our country. Almost all veterans are gracious for your time, and say thank you at the end of the visit, but I always say thankyou more.

Just my 2 cents of 4th year, which ends in just 5 months.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, a rotation at a VA would definitely be a valuable experience. if i have the chance, i definitely will. good luck the rest of your final year! :thumbup:

Ryan_eyeball said:
Hey I was going to write that I only have only two more days at my clinical rotation at the Veteran Hospital here in St. Louis. I will truly miss it when I leave, and just have had the best time here. You have a superb computer system that allows you to see a whole patient record, and order labs that are essential in a diagnosis. I would highly recommend a rotation at a Veteran's Hospital because you will see more pathology than most other sites. I couldn't even begin to name the number of interesting cases that I've had, and you get to meet WWII Vets and numerous other hereos that have served our country. Almost all veterans are gracious for your time, and say thank you at the end of the visit, but I always say thankyou more.

Ryan_eyeball said:

The VA is a very rewarding place to learn. I recommend that every one considering a residency, try for a VA position, unless of course you match to Bascom Palmer. When I was at the VA I had the honor of taking care of a few WW I vets. The things I learned from them were fascinating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a rotation at the VA in Palo Alto CA and it was one of my favorite rotations. You work hard, see interesting things, meet interesting people. That VA in particular has a blind rehab center so I got to do as much low vision as I wanted... I got to work with patients once a week with spinal cord injuries.. and the guys definitely appreciate what you're doing. I say guys because it's 98% male.

VA Palo Alto takes student externs from UHCO, SCCO, UCB, ICO and PCO. If anyone has questions about it they can PM me.

any pacific or sco students or grads out there know which are the best clinical rotations (VA or non-Va) that coordinate with their respective schools.

ICO started requiring every student to do a VA rotation this year. Some students were complaining about it, but I think it is a great idea. I'm going to the VA in Lake City, FL this summer. I can't wait!

CPW, we will have to get together again since I will be only be about 3 hrs from you.

rpames said:
ICO started requiring every student to do a VA rotation this year. Some students were complaining about it, but I think it is a great idea. I'm going to the VA in Lake City, FL this summer. I can't wait!

CPW, we will have to get together again since I will be only be about 3 hrs from you.
*Florida*, I'm jealous. ;)

SUNY has required doing a quarter at a VA for awhile, I think it's a great way to get some good disease experience under your belt.

r_salis said:
*Florida*, I'm jealous. ;)

SUNY has required doing a quarter at a VA for awhile, I think it's a great way to get some good disease experience under your belt.

Unfortunately I'm there in the SUMMER! It is going to be pretty hot and humid.

rpames said:

yay !! :)