4th year elective in Beijing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradiselost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had any experience with 4th year electives in Beijing? I'm looking for somewhere to practice some medical Chinese and see what life's like in Chinese hospitals. I'd appreciate any info/advice/feedback anyone has. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i am also interested in rotating in beijing for 4th yr elective..

hello,I am a Chinese medical student ,studying in Xiangya Medical College,which is not located in Beijing. However, the hospitals here are similar with that inBeijing.
If you have interest,you can add me in skype.I can help you study Chinese and give you some information about Chinese hospital life. skype name:quietcat16

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Cujie, is your hospital at Changsha?

interesting, im looking into an international rotation in Changsha do you have information on international students rotating at your hospital? I will add you in skype: dingozlife

Take-care

dingozlife

i am also interested in a beijing international rotation! news would be great!

:cool: am an international student here in china iam now in my second year going to the 3rd year, i think if you really want to do an international rotation in China with my little knowledge i have its not going to be easy unless otherwise you find a hospital with most doctors speaking english cuz the langauge here is chinese,so do prepare studying from where you are or come to China and have a 3 month chinese language for daily communication before starting your rotation, you will have good apartment,alot of friends, good support and attention from everyone but you will have problem with the language!its a good experience though,so be prepared guys.

i can speak mandarin, only no reading or writing. guess that doesnt help too much huh?

pumc has one i think.. 8 weeks.
it certainly has one with ucsf and harvard.
but with other schools, i'm not sure how it works.

Last edited:
Does not knowing Chinese a big hurdle in having rotation in China for American medical students; also anyone knows of any English speaking hospitals?

Does not knowing Chinese a big hurdle in having rotation in China for American medical students; also anyone knows of any English speaking hospitals?

Yes it's a major problem if you can't be fluent in Chinese. As for English speaking hospitals, u can try 'United Family' hospital, which is located in Beijing.

Hi,

I do not know about Beijing, but there is an internship program in Shanghai (at the Shanghai East Hospital) open to international students.
All information about the internship is available at the Website of the Education Office.

Hope this helps...

Hi Anae:

Thank you for the info on this program. I was wondering have you done this elective or know more info about this. I see it's geared towards German students. If I wouldlike to do the surgery elective, will they let me do hands on stuff, such as assist in surgeries?

I am a 4th year med student from Canada by the time my elective comes up in Sept.

THanks!

Hi,

I do not know about Beijing, but there is an internship program in Shanghai (at the Shanghai East Hospital) open to international students.
All information about the internship is available at the Website of the Education Office.

Hope this helps...

I am also very keen on doing elective in China (preferably Beijing) in middle of next year!:)
Does anyone know any places for elective in Beijing other than Peking University??

Last edited:
I am also very keen on doing elective in China (preferably Beijing) in middle of next year!:)
Does anyone know any places for elective in Beijing other than Peking University??

Bump. Any info??

Hi Anae:

Thank you for the info on this program. I was wondering have you done this elective or know more info about this. I see it's geared towards German students. If I wouldlike to do the surgery elective, will they let me do hands on stuff, such as assist in surgeries?

I am a 4th year med student from Canada by the time my elective comes up in Sept.

THanks!

I'm also interested in this program and planning to join it next year in July :) Now, I'm in the 3rd year. I'm not sure whether the program is really taught in English or not.

Hi,

Hope this helps...

Hi, I know this was posting a long time ago. But any information about the internship program at shanghai east hosp and how good it is for interns that cant speak chinese