4th year Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TIMMY

I search after truth....
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started picking 4th year electives but I have no clue which ones would help with step 2 or are important before residency. Ive talked to a couple of fourth years and I keep hearing that an Surg. ICU month would not be a bad idea...I've got at least 6 months for electives (After core radiology, er and med subI). What other rotations do you upperclassmen think would be beneficial?
Thanks
Timmy

Members don't see this ad.

there are a couple of schools of thought. some people say that this is the last time you'll be able to take stuff like cardiology or allergy/immunology, and that you should focus on these. other students like to do rotations that they think would be helpful for their future careers in a particular specialty.

rotations that might be helpful for neurosurgery:
radiology (see if you can focus in neuroradiology)
neurology
cardiology
endocrinology

i'm sure there are more but can't think of any right now.

the important thing, though, is to have fun. this is the last time you'll be able to take it easy before residency, and believe me, residency SUCKS.

Thanks. Got the electives lined up. How many away rotations would you suggest one do to get a good exposure to different programs?