4th year EM rotation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lattimer13

good boy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is an EM away rotation in October too late for the application process? i got my home EM rotation in August and a place that i really would like to rotate at only has a potential opening in October. would the LOR and the pending grade on my transcript this late in the process delay my application and put me at a disadvantage for applying to EM? will programs have already started handing out interview offers by this time? any input from residents (current and future) and attendings would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

* i did use the search function and the results were kind of mixed and was wondering if anybody had anything new to add.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation last year. I did the required EM rotation at my school in August, and the only away rotation available to me was in November. The rotation was useful as a way for me to assess the program and for the program to assess me. However, November was too late, practically speaking, to request LORs from the away program.

Although some interview invitations may be sent out earlier, most programs don't begin sending invitations until after November 1st, when the Dean's letter is released. My advice to you would be to have your application completed before November 1 (and the sooner, the better). It's okay to request a letter from the away rotation, but don't delay your application while you're waiting for the letter. Instead, get at least 2 letters from EPs during your August rotation and at least 1 additional letter based on your third year clerkships and have your application completed before November 1st. You can always add letters later.

My advice would be similar for the grades. Don't delay submission of your transcript to ERAS because you're waiting on a grade from the away rotation. Unfortunately, the system does not allow updates with new grades once your transcript has been uploaded; however, you can always mail an updated transcript to programs if you feel it's necessary. If you get a good grade for the August rotation, an update with the grade from your away rotation may not be necessary.

lattimer13 said:
is an EM away rotation in October too late for the application process? i got my home EM rotation in August and a place that i really would like to rotate at only has a potential opening in October. would the LOR and the pending grade on my transcript this late in the process delay my application and put me at a disadvantage for applying to EM? will programs have already started handing out interview offers by this time? any input from residents (current and future) and attendings would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

* i did use the search function and the results were kind of mixed and was wondering if anybody had anything new to add.

October will be fine. Some of us will give out interview invitations as early as Sept. for after Nov 1 to applicants who obviously meet our standards. I doubt that anyone will be out of interview space earlier than mid-November. Just talk to the PD or Chair at your away rotation about getting a SLOR early in the month.