KnicksDO

2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2016
I am current 4th year medical student interested in Anesthesia. Unfortunately, my interest in anesthesia is solely based on what I think I can see myself doing and enjoying as I was unable to have a formal rotation in Anesthesia during my 3rd year. I had a rotation set up in April of my 3rd year which was cancelled due to coronavirus. As a DO that does not have a home institution with an anesthesia program, I was unable to get my first rotation in Anesthesia until late September. ERAS opens before then, and my anesthesia rotation will end about 3 days prior to residency programs being able to view my application. I know these circumstances have not been encountered before, but does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation? I appreciate any input and can provide more details on my situation as needed, thank you!

Greenbayslacker

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
  1. Medical Student
Your home institution may not have a formal anesthesia program, but they must have OR's. See if you can shadow some anesthesiologists in those ORs even if it's not an official rotation.

Reactions: 1 user

KnicksDO

2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2016
Thank you for the response. The hospitals I have contacted are not allowing visiting students in any capacity until late august or late September depending on the hospital. If they are allowing visiting students, they must be from within a certain radius of their hospital with a legal address.

About the Ads

UnoMas

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Submit app with 3 letters. If I remember correctly, you are allowed to submit 4. Try to secure a letter by the end of 3rd week. Have that letter uploaded ASAP. Update program PRN.
Apply to backup FM, IM etc.

KnicksDO

2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2016
Do you think this will be looked down upon by program directors? Such that, will it appear like an impulsive last minute switch if my anesthesia rotation ends on October 18th and they view my application on October 21st leading to my commitment to the field long term to be in question?

UnoMas

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am not a PD so I don't know what they think. I do think that you are overthinking it. It doesn't seem like you have much control over any of it at this point anyway, it certainly does you no good stressing out about it.

SnapperRocks

5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Do you think this will be looked down upon by program directors? Such that, will it appear like an impulsive last minute switch if my anesthesia rotation ends on October 18th and they view my application on October 21st leading to my commitment to the field long term to be in question?

Your school must have someone appointed as an advisor for students going into anesthesia. Touch base with them and make sure they know that you haven’t been able to get firsthand experience in the field. They may not be able to get you in the OR if there are rules against it with the pandemic, however, they likely will be able to discuss your views on the field and if they make sense. I would strongly urge you to submit on time if you definitely want to go into anesthesia. I do not think the circumstances of the pandemic will be held against you. Just make sure you know what the field entails. If you’re on a surgery rotation, ask if you can hang out on the other side on a day off for an hour or something.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads