4th Year Pharmacy Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSU2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school (Wayne St in Det, MI) is offering a new track to choose that has a higher concentration of community practice settings than the tracks the traditionally offered. We rotate for 48 weeks of which 24 of them are spent in a community pharmacy (CVS etc). 6 weeks of that is considered a General rotation which everyone will do somewhere, the remainder of the time spent in the community setting (18 weeks) will entail specialized learning experiences. Again I say this is new and according to our faculty is the first time a pharmacy program has offered such a component in their curriculum. To give you an idea of the specific community rotation being offered: Comm. Management Rotation, OTC rotation, diabetes management etc. I'm curious to hear from other students about their community rotations being offered and if they to offer such an extensive community experiential program to interested students. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Our year of rotations only includes 4 weeks of mandatory "community pharmacy". We also have 8 weeks of mandatory "ambulatory care", which is community pharmacy in a clinic setting rather than a retail store. That's about for that type of pharmacy. Everything else is clinical except for "drug information" which is just a waste of time.

Drug information is a good one for the summer :)
dgroulx said:
Our year of rotations only includes 4 weeks of mandatory "community pharmacy". We also have 8 weeks of mandatory "ambulatory care", which is community pharmacy in a clinic setting rather than a retail store. That's about for that type of pharmacy. Everything else is clinical except for "drug information" which is just a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
believe it or not i've had worse rotations than drug information

WSU2007 said:
My school (Wayne St in Det, MI) is offering a new track to choose that has a higher concentration of community practice settings than the tracks the traditionally offered. We rotate for 48 weeks of which 24 of them are spent in a community pharmacy (CVS etc). 6 weeks of that is considered a General rotation which everyone will do somewhere, the remainder of the time spent in the community setting (18 weeks) will entail specialized learning experiences. Again I say this is new and according to our faculty is the first time a pharmacy program has offered such a component in their curriculum. To give you an idea of the specific community rotation being offered: Comm. Management Rotation, OTC rotation, diabetes management etc. I'm curious to hear from other students about their community rotations being offered and if they to offer such an extensive community experiential program to interested students. Thanks!!

I go to USN.

Not 100% about the rest of my years, but:

1st year (20 days at 8 hours at retail)
1st year summer (6 weeks at 40 hours per week retail)
2nd year (same as first at retail)
and then 2nd summer and 3rd iyear is hospital.....this is the year I am the the most fuzzy on the details.

WSU2007 said:
Drug information is a good one for the summer :)

I have it from July 24th to August 18th.