4th year predicament

Started by TawMus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TawMus

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, DO student here thinking about going into Allo Gas. Did a search thru the forums while looking for some tips on setting up 4th year for Anesthesia and I see that there are two different schools of thought on whether or not to do a SICU rotation during 4th year.

I am currently in a predicament where my mentor told me that doing a SICU rotation @ an ICU ran by anesthesiologists will be beneficial to me before I do an away audition at another program. But I feel that may take an elective away from me which I could use to audition at another program. Do any of the residents/attendings have any input how beneficial doing an SICU rotation prior to away will really be?

Also, I was wondering how if there are any programs you would be willing to recommend auditioning at to make me more competitive for most other programs by securing a strong LOR. I would ideally like to end up w/ a residency in California or Texas but would be willing to move for a strong program. At the moment I'm thinking about rotating at Loma Linda (have a good relationship w/ some of the residents from there), UTSW (where I grew up), and Beth Israel Boston (mentor's home hospital).

I have one elective slot left that I can use to do a SICU rotation or another away audition. Any comments would be appreciated, Thanks!
 
Personally I loved my sicu away elective (actually did a sub-I in it). Felt like critical care is way different than anywhere you could go - vents, sepsis, pressors, abgs ect. It was quite apparent to everyone which of the surgical interns had worked in ICUs before as a student- there was just a comfort level... There's tons of opportunities for procedures (alines, central, ivs, dobbhoffs, occasional tube). Also I thnk it's one of the easier rotations to get an LOR from as it's alot easier to show initiative, responsibility with your patients/attending. Highly reccomend it. Def not a necessity, you'll eventually learn what you'll need to in residency.

Ps- Think there was a thread about micu vs sicu 4th yr electives here last year you might want to search...
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would do a SICU rotation even if you think you might not get a great LOR out of it. I learned more and got to do more procedures on my away sub-i than any other rotation in med school, plus I got to meet some of the anesthesia residents who were on that service.
 
Just do UTSW. Dr Griffin does a good job with the medical students. Myself and 2 of my classmates rotated there as 4th years and all had a great time.

I'm definitely going to do a rotation at UTSW, I've heard that they have an amazing program over there.

Thanks for the input guys!