4th year schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gschl1234

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 putting together my 4th year schedule and wanted to get some opinions about step 2. I feel fairly confident that I'll pass step 2 CS and CK but have no idea what I'll get on CK. I've been just slightly above average on shelf exams. I got 230+ on step 1 and was wondering how much it would hurt if I passed but did substantially worse on step 2 CK (like 200s?). My advisor is saying that I should go ahead and take step 2 CS and CK early enough (by December) so that the programs I'm applying to will have a more complete file. I have the feeling that he's assuming I'll get a score in the same ballpark. Does step 2 even matter as long as you pass? Any advice would be much appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

Take CS as early as humanly possible and get it over with. Your Step 1 score probably puts you in the category of not needing to take CK to be competitive for path. I wouldn't take CK before January unless I was 100% certain that I would score higher-- you absolutely don't want to score lower. If you can guarantee yourself 3-4 weeks of uninterrupted study, you might consider taking it early. I did not take CK until the beginning of February and had no problems with programs "wanting a complete app" before ranking me.

Take CS as early as humanly possible and get it over with. Your Step 1 score probably puts you in the category of not needing to take CK to be competitive for path. I wouldn't take CK before January unless I was 100% certain that I would score higher-- you absolutely don't want to score lower. If you can guarantee yourself 3-4 weeks of uninterrupted study, you might consider taking it early. I did not take CK until the beginning of February and had no problems with programs "wanting a complete app" before ranking me.

word! your CK score will probably be close to your Step 1 score due to your average shelf exams. I would take it to get it over with...i took mine in december which was early enough to send scores well before rank lists were made. i don't think this made any difference as Darkside said as I received correspondence from programs before my scores were released.

CS: take it EARLY as Darkside said! less anxiety if you take it early in your 4th year. Again, i took it in december and boy did it ruin my Xmas season.

anyway, good luck and a 230 step 1 is a great score for path.