4th year scheduling (which electives?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedSomeAdviceGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, we're starting to schedule our 4th year. Now, I know a lot of folks are going to say "do your requirements then find the most chill rotations," which I totally do plan to chill however was curious what electives would folks suggest for someone going into IM with interest in Crit Care?

Personally thinking for my 4 week blocks the following

Required:
IM Sub-I
EM Sub-I

Elective:
ICU (ofc, and planning to do as an away)
Ultrasound & EKG (they're both half-blocks each)
Radiology
ID

What else would yall recommend? Cards, Pulm, or Nephro? Gas? Tox? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

C/L psych could be beneficial in gaining some insight that may help prevent developing bad habits down the line like using Seroquel as a panacea, using Seroquel as your first and only med for behavioral issues in delirium, or unnecessarily jacking-up sedation and opioids to where you then have to consult psych to manage iatrogenic withdrawal and help wean seadation…

Sarcasm aside, if you have the option to do a C/L elective that is heavy with ICU consults it would genuinely be pretty beneficial. Acute inpatient pain management and palliative care could be similarly beneficial. Otherwise, probably not what you’re looking for advice wise but I would recommend doing electives in stuff you’re interested in but will never probably see again. I’m still extremely grateful for having a done a forensic path elective.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
C/L psych could be beneficial in gaining some insight that may help prevent developing bad habits down the line like using Seroquel as a panacea, using Seroquel as your first and only med for behavioral issues in delirium, or jacking-up sedation and opioids to where you then have to consult psych to manage iatrogenic withdrawal and help wean seadation…

It's funny you say this, literally writing up something about Seroquel on the floors for a short presentation (currently on my Psych rotation)

It's also funny you mention forensic path because I was looking through the 4th year course catalog before making this post and was trying to justify taking a path elective (love path). You're truly in my head right now.

Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: 1 user
It's funny you say this, literally writing up something about Seroquel on the floors for a short presentation (currently on my Psych rotation)

It's also funny you mention forensic path because I was looking through the 4th year course catalog before making this post and was trying to justify taking a path elective (love path). You're truly in my head right now.

Thanks for the tips!
Quetiapine aka Overpriced Benadryl with Extra Side Effects (…at the doses it’s prescribed 99% of the time…)

Uses:
1) Ingraining in people the belief that they have bipolar disorder when they actually don’t.
2) Making people fat.
3) To divert as a revenue source should you ever find yourself incarcerated.

End of presentation.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Pulm is valuable for critical care.