4th year Surgery Sub-I recommendations

Started by ooitsrich
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ooitsrich

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I had a question regarding surgical rotations for my 4th year education. My school requires students to do a 4 week rotation within a surgical specialty. I am debating between Orthopedic Sx vs Neuro Sx and would like some input as to which rotation may be more helpful in terms of knowledge and experience for a future in PM&R. Thanks for your help! :]
 
I would say that it depends upon the departments. Neurosurg. and Ortho would both be good. I find that I relate to neurosurgeons better than orthopods because they tend to be more cerebral. But some neurosurgeons are pompous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say ortho would be a better option over neurosurgery. I chose to do an orthopaedics elective so that I could better understand the surgical procedures some of my patients will undergo: knees, hips, trauma, etc. But I already have had previous experience in ortho and preferred it over neurosurgery so I was biased.
 
If your hospital is level 1 or 2 trauma, neurosurgery/urology would be a very good experience with many TBI and SCI patients. Ortho would be good at any type of hospital and if it involves outpatient experience then that would help with physical exam skills and imaging.