4th year timing issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of you have applied recently (since the switch to the regular match), I had a question about timing in 4th year. When do you "upload" your application, and if something in your application changes AFTER the upload, can you then modify the information in your application? Even if you did, would programs notice or do they just download once and then that's it?

I ask this specifically regarding letters of rec. My 4th year schedule isn't exactly ideal, and I have one rotation rather late (finishes in early October) and I'm wondering... if I try to get a letter of recommendation from this rotation, will I be able to upload it in time?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The first day to officially submit your ERAS application is the first week of september. Once you submit your application it is final except for biographical information and AOA status. Your application is basically your CV. Other documents that you upload through ERAS are your transcript, deans letter, and LORs.

Your LORs have no deadline, except when your application is reviewed by a program, which can be anywhere from september 1 to anytime during the interview process. Waiting until October is pretty late, unless the person writing you a letter is really fast. I would say whenever Dean's letters are due (mid November) to be sent out is the latest you want to get anything in. Because this is the time a majority of schools begin to download applications.

You can change your LORs as many times as you like on the ERAS website, but your application will seem to be incomplete if you assign a letter to a school and it is not there. I do not know how programs factor that in to their review process.

Hope that makes sense.