5-6-7 year programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifeman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im a junior in high school and im just wondering which schools have 5-6-7 year programs for veterinary related careers and how impossible they are to get in? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

The vet schools at Kansas State University, Purdue University, the University of Missouri-Columbia and Mississippi State University all have conditional early acceptance programs for high school seniors (you apply to the early acceptance program simultaneously with your application for admission to the undergraduate college). If you're accepted to these programs, and you successfully complete the undergraduate coursework and meet all other conditions (and there are a lot of them), you are guaranteed a seat in the DVM program. I think that some of these programs do allow you to enter vet school after the completion of your junior year and you obtain your bachelor's degree and your DVM in seven years. Check the school websites for the details. These are the only programs that I know of for students who want to apply directly from high school and, not suprisingly, the competition for seats is severe. If I remember correctly, a number of other vet schools have programs that allow for early application either during or immediately following successful completion of the freshman undergraduate year (check the vet school websites for Cornell, Tufts, Michigan State and the University of Minnesota for the details about these programs). Hope this helps. For any of these programs, you will need to have stellar grades, test scores and many hours of documented work experience with animals in order to be competitive. Good luck.