5 Horrifying Truths About Being a Medical Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On paper, being a doctor seems pretty great. The money is good, it makes everyone around you feel inferior, and you get a diploma that literally gives you permission to play God.

But being a doctor isn't just about lots of sex and cocaine parties -- in fact, it's mostly not about that at all.

If that is their viewpoint of medicine, no wonder there is disappointment involved :laugh:

Honestly, only the newly minted med student or pre med thinks that being a physician makes everyone around them feel inferior.

For prescriptions, that is why I believe printing them out is better than writing. And especially typing or dictating progress notes in the hospital. OH LAWD. Certain consultants notes are useless cause it's literally 10 swiggly lines, followed by a "plan/suggestion" of more swigglies :O

Doctors are also more likely to abuse "prescribed opioids and benzodiazepines," which I've never heard of but can only assume are future sci-fi drugs that only doctors know about.

Haha...

Members don't see this ad :)
For prescriptions, that is why I believe printing them out is better than writing. And especially typing or dictating progress notes in the hospital. OH LAWD. Certain consultants notes are useless cause it's literally 10 swiggly lines, followed by a "plan/suggestion" of more swigglies :O

I thought the terrible handwriting of doctors was a myth. Trying to copy scripts to an EMR has been a nightmare.

53% of doctors are overweight (NOT obese), the linked article said.

lol you guys do realize cracked is a humor magazine/website right?

"So you're a doctor, a big, fat, sad, suicidal doctor, and all you want to do is take some time off, but, hey, you can't. Because when you take time off more people die." lol

lol you guys do realize cracked is a humor magazine/website right?

Yes, but I still didn't find this article that funny. I'm not a big fan of trivializing serious issues, but maybe that's just me and my sense of humor.

Lol....maybe a bot exaggerated, but it had some good points.

Isn't the national average is around 2/3 of Americans are overweight? 53% is below national average.

#3. The Deaths -- Oh Loooord the Deaths

98,000 die a year because of doctors is what this sections says basically.

Remind me how many lives are saved again? Millions?

Last edited:
Isn't the national average is around 2/3 of Americans are overweight? 53% is below national average.

They never said anything about doctors being overweight more than average.....they just said that "your doctor is probably obese", seing that the figure is slightly above 50% then they are right.

Interesting article either way. There are unhappy and happy physicians out there, just like in every other high stress profession.

I thought it was pretty funny; I really hope no one actually took this article too seriously.. as others have pointed out--it's meant to be comedic although there is some truth to the statements.