5 secondaries, 0 interviews...yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdogg790

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I filled out and returned 5 secondary apps 2-3 months ago and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm starting to freak out.

Here are my stats:

MCAT
9V
9PS
10BS
P

3.55 GPA

Ohio resident applying to all Ohio schools except Case

Are my stats not good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by zdogg790
I filled out and returned 5 secondary apps 2-3 months ago and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm starting to freak out.

Here are my stats:

MCAT
9V
9PS
10BS
P

3.55 GPA

Ohio resident applying to all Ohio schools except Case

Are my stats not good enough?

You're stats are pretty much right at the average level for matriculating students, so I wouldn't be thinking that your stats aren't good enough. What I would be thinking is "did I apply to enough schools?" Did you only send AMCAS to 5 schools? If so, that may be the problem. It doesn't matter how good of an applicant you are, you need to apply to more schools if you want a decent shot at getting in. Also, what does the rest of your application look like? Do your experiences show your commitment to medicine, are your recs good, etc. The schools are either going slow at the moment (you may want to call them and see what's up) or you may have a few red flags in your application. Whatever the case, good luck, and if you only applied to a few schools you may want to consider designating more schools on AMCAS (whose deadlines haven't passed). Remember, it's all a crapshoot. ;)

It also depends when you took the MCAT. If you were a 1st time August MCATer then it's not that surprising you haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Dr Chooch
You're stats are pretty much right at the average level for matriculating students, so I wouldn't be thinking that your stats aren't good enough. What I would be thinking is "did I apply to enough schools?" Did you only send AMCAS to 5 schools? If so, that may be the problem. It doesn't matter how good of an applicant you are, you need to apply to more schools if you want a decent shot at getting in.

I agree, unless you really want to stay in Ohio no matter what, 5 schools is really not enough even for the best of applicants.

You're in the ballpark for MCO, NEOUCOM, and Wright. Perhaps a bit of a strech for Cinci or O-State, but by no means an automatic reject. If the rest of your app is strong I'd be very surprised if you don't get a couple or three interveiws.

I'm sure Zdogg "SEVEN NINEDEE" will have no problems getting in. Most people that apply to medical school don't have any personality and/or know what a beer is, or know who has the record for the most stolen bases in a single season (you know who you are). These are the most key factors to being a medical student.
It will be refreshing for WSU to interview someone that can actually speak. I'm sure they are tired of interviewing people from the "nerd herd".

Everybody poops, some WAY more than others

Don't fret--if you're really worried, send an e-mail to the adcom or give them a call.
i e-mailed one school (not in ohio) and they replied that they are way behind by a month or so. i wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in ohio.

I will post the same thing I've always posted: OSU is only interviewing people with a >30 MCAT and >3.5 GPA. As far the other schools, I'm not sure. I'm thinking WSU is far behind, as I interviewed there in early october and still have heard nothing. By the way, wasn't it Ricky Henderson who holds the record for most SBs in a single season, or is he the all time record holder?