5 year programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Offline PK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still seeking some insight on this, and perhaps others have wondered the same thing: Are 5 year program applicants generally successful, or is it wishful thinking? I've heard that 5 year programs are reserved for those in university, but prior to graduating (which would be most peculiar)

I graduated without taking two classes essential for the MCAT (physics and orgo). Thus, I applied to the 5 year programs. I will happily delete the thread if this has already been touched upon.

I'm from: New York

My country of citizenship is: USA + Republic of Ireland

Undergraduate degree: B.S. Psychology, cum laude

At this University: State University of New York (SUNY), Cortland

My GPA was: 3.4 cumulative, 3.54 major (concentration in neuroscience). Strong upward trend in the final 2 years, I despised my original major.

My MCAT Scores were: Not Taken. Took 1 year gen chem, 1 year gen bio, stats, calc, lots of english, neuroscience, psychopharmacology and other science courses.

Extracurricular/Awards: ~400 volunteer hours at community hospital, Summer internship in Psychiatry @ NY Presbyterian-letter of recommendation 1 (for credit), 3x neuroscience studies author-letter of recommendation 2 (2 likely to be published), inducted into tri-beta biological honor society, 4x dean's list, student observer in nuclear medicine and radiology, assisting visually impaired professor with writing a book on cognitive linguistics, secular club treasurer, teaching assistant for behavioral neuroscience, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I applied to: TCD, NUIG, RCSI, UCD-Late application to UCD in mid-January (5 year programs)
I was interviewed for:
I was accepted at:
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey I'm from Louisville, KY, and will graduate on May 11, I can tell you my statistics and where I got accepted if it helps. I applied to TCD
GPA: 3.81 cumulative, Psych BS major with Biology and History minors
I was very much involved in ECs and got recommendations from my history and biology professors.
I received an offer from TCD early April for a spot in their 5 year program. I did take an MCAT but didn't send in the score (29O)

I hope this helps you and good luck!

Thank you very much for replying and supplying your stats. Best of luck in Trinity, I hope to join you.

I'm from: Toronto, Ontario

My country of citizenship is: Canada

Undergraduate degree program: Hons BSc Biology

At this University: York University

My GPA was:~3.9

ECs: strong and unique

I applied only to UCD and was accepted into their 5yr program.

Anything else, just ask!

Cheers.

ps. It seems as though there either aren't many posters on this forum or there weren't many 5yr acceptances dished out...