512 MCAT 3.57cGPA 3.3sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

untpropdpp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been thinking I'll apply to DO schools next cycle but by boss (an MD) has been telling me I ought to apply to a few MD schools, esp my state school. MCAT was 128's across the board. The only think lacking is my gpa, obviously. How far off am I?

I have an upward GPA trend including a 3.65 senior year and a 4.0 in post bacc science classes I have taken. I have been working in a cancer research lab/managing undergrads for the past year, with one publication. Have tons of volunteering with immigrants/english languange learners and the ER, over 500 hours of direct pt care (nurse's aid). Around 30 hrs of shadowing various specialties. Graduated may 2016 from a prestigious college (no idea if that matters), I double majored in chemistry and religious studies (with a 4.0 in religion, lol). Leadership in various clubs, TA'd organic chemistry for two years, did research in several scientific fields throughout undergrad. I am very interested in rural healthcare, though I don't know how much just saying that alone is worth. Let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at these MD schools with your stats:
Utah
Creighton
St. Louis
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Roseman, Kaiser, Seton Hall, NOVA MD)
You are competitive for all DO schools and you have RVU-Utah in your home state.

Hi guys, I've been thinking I'll apply to DO schools next cycle but by boss (an MD) has been telling me I ought to apply to a few MD schools, esp my state school. MCAT was 128's across the board. The only think lacking is my gpa, obviously. How far off am I?

I have an upward GPA trend including a 3.65 senior year and a 4.0 in post bacc science classes I have taken. I have been working in a cancer research lab/managing undergrads for the past year, with one publication. Have tons of volunteering with immigrants/english languange learners and the ER, over 500 hours of direct pt care (nurse's aid). Around 30 hrs of shadowing various specialties. Graduated may 2016 from a prestigious college (no idea if that matters), I double majored in chemistry and religious studies (with a 4.0 in religion, lol). Leadership in various clubs, TA'd organic chemistry for two years, did research in several scientific fields throughout undergrad. I am very interested in rural healthcare, though I don't know how much just saying that alone is worth. Let me know what you think.

I got similar stats, and applied to a list close to what faha suggested with moderate success thus far. Buy msar and apply early and broadly! Good luck OP

I got similar stats, and applied to a list close to what faha suggested with moderate success thus far. Buy msar and apply early and broadly! Good luck OP
This is really encouraging; I'm planning to apply basically right away next cycle, and applying broadly to both MD and DO. Just bought the MSAR last night! Thank you for the encouragement.

You could receive interviews at these MD schools with your stats:
Utah
Creighton
St. Louis
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Roseman, Kaiser, Seton Hall, NOVA MD)
You are competitive for all DO schools and you have RVU-Utah in your home state.

MCAT: 512 sGPA 3.5 is it worth doing a post bac program to be considered for an MD school of this caliber?