513/3.49 with re-invention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amateurpedagogue

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster :). Hoping I haven't broken any forum rules here.
1.cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
cGPA//3.49 || sGPA//3.4

2.MCAT score(s) and breakdown
513 128//130//129//126

3.State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Oregon

4.Ethnicity and/or race
White (ME/NA)

5.Undergraduate institution or category
University of Oregon (UG)/Portland State University (PB)

6.Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
2500 hours of Scribing. Mainly Cardiology and Movement Disorders Neurology, but some Family, Internal, and Peds

7.Research experience and productivity
2 Years of part time in a molecular/dev bio lab, contributing author on a pre-print.

8.Shadowing experience and specialties represented
If shadowing my doctors during procedures counts, in the ballpark of 50 hours of interventional cardiology and electrophysiology

9.Non-clinical volunteering
No formal experience. Applied to volunteer with crisis text line in view of COVID around 10 days ago. Otherwise open to suggestions/opportunities.

10.Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
I spent upwards of 2000 hours tutoring or mentoring my peers/friends of friends/dorm mates, etc in undergrad. But this was informal and gratuitous, so I'd consider it more of a hobby than a legit EC with a letter (though I have numerous people who would be willing to vouch on my behalf as a contact if it would help).
Also was an active member of a number of culture clubs on campus, not sure how much weight that has but I'll be discussing it in my PS because those experiences do contribute to why I want to go into medicine.\
I worked as a pharmacy cashier/tech trainee for 6 months in order to learn more about the billing process and insurance difficulties that our patients frequently reported when I worked in clinic.

11. Relevant honors or awards
Grant for summer research for $1200.

12.Anything else not listed you think might be important
Not sure if I'd qualify as a non-trad, but I went into undergrad thinking I wanted to do a PhD (in biochemistry) and rushed to finish undergrad in 3 years. Junior year I had an identity crisis of sorts and bombed my fall quarter grades (B+,B,C,D). Then fell out with my family and had a mediocre spring quarter (B+,B,B). Ended up deciding somewhere in the middle of that period (read "winter quarter") that research wasn't as humanistically impactful as I wanted and that I would consider medicine. Had to retake first quarter Biochem the following fall due to the D but cruised through with an A. At the same time, started working as a scribe and absolutely fell in love with being in clinic.
Currently doing a year-long DIY post-bac at PSU with a 3.95 overall (47?48? credits) with courses including A&P, Cell, Micro, Cancer, Bacteriology, and Human Development Psychology.

Pretty confident I can muster 5-6 strong letters of rec, though three of those would be from physicians.

Need help making a school list and would be grateful for suggestions on how I could improve my chances. I'm also in the process of applying to SMP programs (1.Cincinatti, 2.Loyola, 3.Georgetown, 4.Drexel).

I did check out the Wedgedawg ARS and determined that I'm somewhere between C and D tier depending on how generous you want to be. Just not sure how UTD the list of schools that are recommended would be.

Current List of Schools
1. Oregon Health and Sciences University
2. Wayne State University
3. USF Morsani
4. MC Wisconsin
5.???

(Hoping for the standard 15-20)

If you've read this far, thanks for sticking with me!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Oregon
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
California University

Reactions: 1 user
What's your postbac GPA? I'm not sure an SMP is absolutely necessary unless you've run out of postbac courses. I'd suggest networking with in-state programs and friendly OOS programs ASAP.

What's your postbac GPA? I'm not sure an SMP is absolutely necessary unless you've run out of postbac courses. I'd suggest networking with in-state programs and friendly OOS programs ASAP.
My postbac GPA is a 3.974 across 48 credits. I too have questioned the value of an SMP but I'm not sure what other route there is left for me. Can you explain what you mean by networking? How do I approach that?

Reactions: 1 user