515/3.98 WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funnychez

Reaction score
  • GPA: cGPA 3.99 and sGPA 3.97 in Biomedical Sciences
  • MCAT: 515 (131/126/126/132)
  • Residence: TX
  • Ethnicity/race: Asian
  • Undergraduate institution: Texas School
  • Clinical experience:
    • 800 hours (1000 by end of summer hopefully)
    • Working in Pediatricians Office: 600 hours (ongoing)
      • also do some scribing here, slowly doing more
    • Volunteer Hospice: starting next week so 0 hours currently, anticipating 4 hours a week until graduation in 2022 (and vacations)
    • Scribing: VA hospital for 150 hours - work may turn into research pub which is ongoing right now
  • Research experience:
    • 1000-1200 hours (including some in late high school and summer) and ongoing. Doing another research project this summer hasn't started
    • 1 article, 1 abstract accepted, 2 submitted - all mid author
    • Research at VA mentioned earlier, no submission but anticipating later this calendar year
    • Research at school (600 hours) - 1 abstract, 1 submitted
      • leading my own project under PI currently which will turn into a thesis project/poster/1st authorship in my senior year (hopefully haha)
      • skills in all sorts of things (Western blot, blot analysis, RT-PCR, pipetting, literature review, data collection, more.)
    • Research at IVF lab (400 hours) - mostly data collection but some thawing of mouse embryos
  • Shadowing:
    • 100 hours and ongoing
    • 50ish hours at pediatricians office (semi-ongoing)
    • 50 hours internal medicine (ongoing)
    • Hopefully shadowing OBGYN this week (likely wont because I am male)
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 900 hours: Theater organization that brings Broadway shows to community, I have leadership for 2-3 years (Executive Team - in charge of an arm of the committee)
  • Other extracurriculars
    • Eagle Scout???
    • Hobbies - Soccer and Table Tennis, probably 400 hours in the past 3-4 years
  • Honors or awards
    • Dean's List every semester
    • Member of the Month in my theater organization
  • School list: not an exhaustive list but hopefully will give an idea, I want to apply as much as I can and as wide as I can.
    • All TX MD schools
    • Einstein
    • Icahn at Mt Sinai
    • Boston University
    • Case Western
    • Emory
    • Stanford
    • Ohio State
    • Rochester
    • Thomas Jefferson
    • Seton Hall
    • Wake Forest
    • University of Maryland
    • University of Pittsburgh
    • Tufts
    • George Washington
    • Indiana
    • Penn State
    • Stony Brook
    • Tulane
    • UColorado
    • UMass
    • UConnecticut
    • Ann Arbor
    • UMich
    • Wayne State
    • VCU
    • UNC Chapel
    • A bunch of other state schools even though my chances are low I still want to apply
    • Again not exhaustive but I don't want to write everywhere plus I still want to take some off my list anyways. Hopefully this gives an idea. If you need more, please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive several interviews. OOS MD schools are unpredictable because they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. Let us know if you receive any interviews at OOS schools.

You have a great application. I don't know why exactly you are applying to so many OOS schools, especially public state schools. You're over applying if you do so.

Apply to all your Texas schools and then OOS schools that you find better than your TX schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive several interviews. OOS MD schools are unpredictable because they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. Let us know if you receive any interviews at OOS schools.
I will, thank you for the reassurance.

You have a great application. I don't know why exactly you are applying to so many OOS schools, especially public state schools. You're over applying if you do so.

Apply to all your Texas schools and then OOS schools that you find better than your TX schools.
One thing is my family is worried that I may not get accepted. My brother went through the cycle and didnt get accepted (waitlisted then accepted at one place) so we are being a lot more cautious. Thats why I opened my range to a lot of places OOS. I have heard that over applying will hurt or doesnt matter. I was wondering if you had feedback on that besides money being a factor. Thank you for the feedback.

One thing is my family is worried that I may not get accepted. My brother went through the cycle and didnt get accepted (waitlisted then accepted at one place) so we are being a lot more cautious. Thats why I opened my range to a lot of places OOS. I have heard that over applying will hurt or doesnt matter. I was wondering if you had feedback on that besides money being a factor. Thank you for the feedback.
I understand the concern. I’d say over-applying will cost you more money and give you a lot of secondaries to write - so it’s best to find an optimal number. If you do want to apply broadly to OOS schools, I think many of the state public schools on your list will be very low yield - they will assume you would much rather go to your own in state public schools.

So I would remove most of those from your list, such as Maryland, UMass, UConn etc. The rest of the list you posted is fine for your application.

I understand the concern. I’d say over-applying will cost you more money and give you a lot of secondaries to write - so it’s best to find an optimal number. If you do want to apply broadly to OOS schools, I think many of the state public schools on your list will be very low yield - they will assume you would much rather go to your own in state public schools.

So I would remove most of those from your list, such as Maryland, UMass, UConn etc. The rest of the list you posted is fine for your application.
Ah okay thank you again!