517 chance me at Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aerogardener

Reaction score
I am new here..

My first choice is Baylor; I got 517=129/132/126/130. I am wondering how much that 126 in Bio/Biochem would hurt my chances at BCM?

I am contemplating a retake as I was getting 520+ in practice.

I am from TX. Please share your thoughts towards Baylor chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake a 517. Everyone on here and every similar thread on here will tell you the same thing

Reactions: 2 users
Don’t retake the MCAT. That would be stupid. We can’t chance you without more information about your app.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you post this same question in a different thread? If so, the answer is the same. Don't do it. Bad idea. Don't let what you think your score should be lead you to make a very bad decision.

I am new here..

My first choice is Baylor; I got 517=129/132/126/130. I am wondering how much that 126 in Bio/Biochem would hurt my chances at BCM?

If you don't get in Baylor (or anywhere else for that matter), it won't be because you got a 517 instead of a 522. Retaking would show a lack of common sense.

What is your GPA? Did you look at the MSAR for Baylor?

Most Texas schools look more at GPA than MCAT anyway, at least from what I've read from @wysdoc and @DokterMom so there's that.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't get in Baylor (or anywhere else for that matter), it won't be because you got a 517 instead of a 522. Retaking would show a lack of common sense.

What is your GPA? Did you look at the MSAR for Baylor?

Most Texas schools look more at GPA than MCAT anyway, at least from what I've read from @wysdoc and @DokterMom so there's that.

Exactly --

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly --

Thank you @DokterMom!

Initially I posted this question to two forums not knowing which forum suits better. The forum I used was Should I Retake. Thread on that forum got more activity and I also promised to not use this thread anymore. I added more context to my profile there. Could you kindly share your thoughts in the Should I Retake forum so that this thread can be closed. Here is the link Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

Thank you very much for your time!

Last edited:
I am new here..

Chances excellent.

Reactions: 1 user
Retaking a 517 is usually folly. For it to not be viewed as utter and excessive perfectionism, OP would need to get a 523+. Even if the OP got a score like that, it still makes 'em look perfectionist. Here, the perfect is mortal enemy of the good.

I wouldn't retake the MCAT. Focus on other things that will make your application more interesting instead of studying, especially since there's no guarantee you'll do better the second time.
I know this is just one data point, but I got in with 514.

Retaking a 517 is usually folly. For it to not be viewed as utter and excessive perfectionism, OP would need to get a 523+. Even if the OP got a score like that, it still makes 'em look perfectionist. Here, the perfect is mortal enemy of the good.

I disagree. A 520 would be just fine in this case

Eh...A 517 --> 520 retake wouldn't do anything for you either way IMO. You've got to get up around 522 before it starts having a positive impact.