518, 3.65 science gpa, pls help me create a school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merp222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everbody,

I am applying to MD schools in the upcoming cycle, and am currently trying to come up with a school list. It would be great to get some advice also for how to improve my application.

State of residence: Washington

GPA: University of Washington, graduating soon with degrees in Neuroscience (Honors) and Psychology, 3.75 cum., 3.65 science

MCAT: 518

Shadowing: 100 hours (Family doctors, ER doctors, OB GYN, Neurologist, Pediatrics)

Volunteering: 125 hours hospital, 100 hours homeless shelter, 50 hours scribing for a free clinic for the homeless

Research: Working at a Neuropathology lab for 3 years, doing own honors senior thesis/independent project on Alzheimer's disease and "healthy aging", was student lead for a physician hand hygiene project for 1 year and won a regional competition for research presentation

Leadership: Officer at Suicide Prevention Association for 2 years and am President this year, Student senator for 1 year (60 hours), early entrance student mentor for 3 years, working as a Saturday Enrichment program teacher for children

I will be taking one gap year and plan to work as a medical scribe, and possibly continue research or take on a second job for financial reasons.

Thank you for reading, and sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whats your state of residence? You can start there. Also buy MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everbody,

I am applying to MD schools in the upcoming cycle, and am currently trying to come up with a school list. It would be great to get some advice also for how to improve my application.

State of residence: Washington

GPA: University of Washington, graduating soon with degrees in Neuroscience (Honors) and Psychology, 3.75 cum., 3.65 science

MCAT: 518

Shadowing: 100 hours (Family doctors, ER doctors, OB GYN, Neurologist, Pediatrics)

Volunteering: 125 hours hospital, 100 hours homeless shelter, 50 hours scribing for a free clinic for the homeless

Research: Working at a Neuropathology lab for 3 years, doing own honors senior thesis/independent project on Alzheimer's disease and "healthy aging", was student lead for a physician hand hygiene project for 1 year and won a regional competition for research presentation

Leadership: Officer at Suicide Prevention Association for 2 years and am President this year, Student senator for 1 year (60 hours), early entrance student mentor for 3 years, working as a Saturday Enrichment program teacher for children

I will be taking one gap year and plan to work as a medical scribe, and possibly continue research or take on a second job for financial reasons.
Thank you for reading, and sorry for the long post!
Gap year plans are sound, but I'd like to also see more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

I suggest:

Vanderbilt
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSD,
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U VM
Western MI
U WA
WSU

Yeah - volunteering is important. Many good applicants have been felled by a lack of it.