$51m malpractice verdict in Cook County

Started by skougess
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh it definitely does help. I review 1-2 malpractice suits a month for initial review for Teamhealth and maybe 10% of them are truly frivolous in nature. Most of them seem to be placed for other reasons (families searching for answers as to why their loved ones died and feeling like their concerns were dismissed). A fair portion of the suits seem like they might not have been filed had the physician come across as concerned. An extra couple of seconds to validate their concerns, even if their concerns are eye rolling, would avoid some lawsuits. And showing concern for patients in the charting would always help in terms of a jury.

I review cases as well. Your 10% estimate for frivolous cases is extremely low. I would put it at 90% or higher.

Being more "concerned" might help, but there's always the risk of some.aggireved family member who wasn't even there going to a lawyer.
 
My wife and I were talking last night about various house-related stuff. Remodeling the kitchen, where to put this treadmill, what to do with the upstairs floor (tile? wood?), and she says to me:

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you wouldn't have to move all of those things and repack these things and (other task) if you were better at keeping things tidier in general."

She wasn't wrong. I agreed; offering no argument. She asked: "Like, why -are- you like that? You do drop anything anywhere, then when it gets to be too much, you dedicate time to put it ALL back?"

I said: "Babe, you don't understand how I actually feel mentally after 3 shifts."

"But you ONLY work 120 hours a month. That's part-time."

I told her about the Birdstrike multiplier. (Thanks, Bird!) She seemed to understand, but asked why it had this effect on me.

I said: "Because every shift sucks when you know for a fact that 90% of Americans are clueless, mouthbreathing idiots who cannot maintain the simplest of responsibilities to their health, then run to me once it all falls apart. They pay nothing for this care, demand it at any hour, and have the options to complain if they don't like it, or sue for any outcome they don't like; related or unrelated. So, when I get home, I just give up for a few hours and mourn the death of society, because I know for sure it is NOT getting any better in the future. I might have a few hours to myself before I *must* sleep, so I can go do it all again for the next 2-3 shifts, so I don't trouble myself with precision tidiness those days. I "reset and clean" only when that psychic assault is gone. You're an introvert by nature, and you simply choose to not deal with people. I'm highly extroverted by nature, and when the only people I see fail to demonstrate basic decency or even competency, it hurts my soul. Society is decaying, and I have a front row ticket and also can't leave my seat for 12 hours at a time."

That hit her right between the eyes. She watched as I went thru both my JACKPOT lawsuit, as well as the Rick and Morty lawsuit. She got it.

I'm off for the next 8 days. Gonna clean the master bedroom and closet, get rid of a lot of things that I need to get rid of, and enjoy lunch at my local taco joint.

But none of that changes how I cannot stand 90% of Americans. #GoingGalt.

Are you me? because this is my experience as well. Except my wife is also in medicine and understands the problems with Emergency Medicine. The problem is when family, specifically MIL comes over to help babysit the kids and just can't fathom how our house is so messy between two full time physicians. How is there still laundry to do? Dinner isn't made? Toys on the floor? Why am I not cleaning up and resetting the house on all those days I have off.

Thanks for the good read.