1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

6/13 DAT done

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ippie, Jun 15, 2008.

1. ippie

ippie ippie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    the 1st DAT the 2nd DAT
    PAT 20 24
    QR 20 22
    RC 14 16
    BIO 21 20
    CHM 22 26
    ORGO 21 20
    TS 21 21
    AA 20 21

do I have to retake again?
    do you think this score is competitive?
    overall gpa is 3.5 and science gpa is 3.8 in 3rd tier university.
    which score do i have to use? the first one or second one?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rszam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think your good to go!

how about giving us a little breakdown of how you studied

4. osimsDDS

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what did you use to study for bio and gchem and how long did you study for, how were the science sections? can you please compare them to some tests you took...thanks

5. DentalDeac

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think your scores are fine. I would use the second DAT, you improved in every category with a 1 point drop in bio and ochem, but your PAT is 4 points higher, which is impressive. I think with your GPA you should get in somewhere

6. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Apply to schools that really care for the PAT IMO.
    GOOD LUCK and good job

7. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Don't retake, you are fine. :)

8. pistolpete007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i am really not trying to be rude...but why do people with such great scores would even think about retaking....i mean you are given the percintile and based on those scores your prally higher than 85 percentile so why even both considering it

9. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Because the OP didn't do that well in RC, and that RC is usually the most heavily focused area by adcomms.

10. DentalDeac

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    good to know because I dominate RC

11. ippie

ippie ippie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    achiever / topscore
    science 18-20 / 20-22
    PAT 18-20 / 20-23
    QR 21-23 / 21-24
    RC I didn't even solve this section.

<study materials>

BIO : I took only bio I and II, but not the higher biology such as molecular bio, microbio, genetics and etc. I think that's why I got only 20. I read Cliffs BIO, some chapters of Campbell and solved Destroyer just once. but bio is so broad and I don't think those materials are helpful. I don't know which materials I have to use for bio section. it's so random and broad. In my opinion, if you take higher biology classes, then you will be fine.

CHM : I used school note, Kaplan blue book and destroyer, I think that's enough. and no tricky questions.

ORGO : I really expected high score in this section because I solve all the questions in Organic chemistry odyssey from DR. Romano. and I inversted most of the time on this section because i thought it's the easiest section to raise up the score. I am so disappointed. don't use organic chemistry odyssey. i think kaplan and destroyer are fine.

PAT : I just took 3-4 tests out of 10 mock tests in CRACK. the scores were 22-24. I think crack is enough and it's very similar to real dat pat.

RC : Frankly speaking, I give up this section. I didn't even study becuase I thought it's the most difficult section that I can raise the score even if I study and practice a lot. I am a slow reader and english is not my first language.

QR : I just solved achiever and topscore, not destoryer. I am good at math, so i didn't spend much time on this section. In real dat, time was not enough. I couldn't even read the very last question.

<study hours>
    I studied 10 hours for 3 months. I used achiever, topscore, destroyer, organic chemistry odyssey, crack, Cliffs bio, some chapters of Campbell.
    good luck, SDNers!

12. Shunwei

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Good improvements and your candidacy is very strong. Good luck on the rest of the process.

13. thebozz1975

5+ Year Member

The 3rd tier school isn't going to help you terribly, but your scores are fine.