6 Attending Paychecks later - 195k student loans wiped out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyanide12345678

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a little post for inspiration. I personally don't understand when people take 10+ years to pay off their student loans. Financial independence is key so you don't HAVE to work, but you work because you WANT to work.

In total I had acquired about 175-180k of debt, after interest in total I paid $195K roughly.15-20k of this was college, the rest med school. I was a completely traditional student - no career prior to college or med school. In fact, I had moved from the other side of the world for college as a freshmen and that itself came with it's culture shock, social and financial challenges.

Things that helped me pay off student debt this quickly.

1) Less debt than most people mostly because of scholarships/need based aid in college. In state tuition in a cheap texas med school ~ 17-18k annual tuition.

2) Lived very cheaply in college and med school. I did max out on loans in med school, but I basically had an excess 8-10K every year, most of that was invested in the market. I did not know the boglehead principles at that time, I was not a believer of buy and hold strategy, but I still made some small amounts of money. I owned Tesla at $80, FB at $26, Amazon at $230. But as a broke med student, when I made 10% or so on my investments, I happily took the profits. If I had done buy and hold, the 30k that I had invested at some point in the market would have been 200K today. My two investment accounts were both margin accounts, I did swing trading (scraped small profits anytime that I got them). Only made a few thousand dollars - but learned a lot about investing over the years and now I'm a full supporter of a boring 3 fund portfolio and believer of the boglehead philosophy.

Investing mistakes I made: Did not do buy and hold otherwise I could have paid my debt even before residency ended. Did not fully understand IRAs or retirement accounts as everything went into post tax accounts. Lets face it, I was still new to the country.

Investing recommendations: If you haven't yet, then read the following and you can start your journey of firing a financial adviser and managing your own investments:

Amazon product

Amazon product

3) I made $300/month payments in residency, every now and then made bigger payments that I could.

4) PGY 3 I moonlighted and made an extra 40-45kK - Almost all of that after paying taxes was used to pay off debt. More or less, I always carried 30-40k in my emergency fund account for a rainy day (acquired from extra loans/investments as talked about in point 2). I had done calculations in med school how much interest that extra loan money would cost me, the security of having money in the bank was worth the extra interest - I mobilized a lot of those funds to pay off more debt when I started moonlighting. Felt comfortable doing that once moonlighting money started coming in. So in essence emergency funds didn't need to be at 40K when I could just moonlight and make 2-3k a shift and be paid within a month.

5) Residency was in a LCOL city - Rent was $850/month for a 2b/1bath apt. Spouse started residency when I was PGY3, so that added another income. Our living expenses were easily paid with 1 resident salary. Was able to make bigger payments.

6) Negotiated like crazy my attending job. Made companies beat each other's offer. Eventually signed for roughly $450k IC annually for 12 12s a month. I went for the highest bidder. I don't love my job, It is stressful, but ER is stressful.

7) I only had $147K of debt left when I finished residency and started being an attending - effectively I had paid about 40-45K while a resident. Large chunks from moonlighting and large chunks from mobilizing extra funds that I didn't really need anymore due to increasing income.

6)First attending paycheck arrived 8/15/19 for half a month of work. Paid 10k from that Once the attending paycheck was coming, I pretty much mobilized even more savings/investments the moment I got my first attending paycheck, who needs an emergency fund when every paycheck is an emergency fund. Every subsequent month, I paid 20k essentially from my salary. So between 8/15/19 and 2/9/20 I essentially paid the remaining 147K and whatever interest that accumulated.

Other side notes, never bought a home, always rented, bought two cars in residency (used 2015 GMC terrain, and new 2017 sonata), owe 11k combined on the both of them at this time.

And yes, if you're wondering, I did pay my IC taxes. I've been financially independent since Sophomore year of college. Received 5K from my father and a ticket from Pakistan to the USA as a freshmen in college. They also paid for half of my wedding, I paid the other half. Otherwise I've been on my own.

Future plans: Networth right now at 80K. 200-250k in annual savings goal. Will max 56k into solo 401k, then 12k backdoor roths, then max wife's retirement account, then whatever is left into personal investing accounts.

I can retire with 1 million in savings in 5 years at age 35 if I wanted to, but that will require moving back to Pakistan. I believe I need 4 million in the US to retire comfortably.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32 users
Awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! It's a glorious feeling, and you're absolutely right that it means freedom

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fantastic work. I too paid off a similar amount within about 1.5 yrs of residency graduation. Such an important step in your personal finance journey. Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using SDN mobile

We can't see what books you posted. Can you just write them out? Interested in knowing

We can't see what books you posted. Can you just write them out? Interested in knowing

I can see the books, but here they are in text:

The Bogleheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio

The Smartest Portfolio You'll Ever Own

I'll add to this list. I like The Bogleheads Guide to Investing as well as Four Pillars of Investing (written by a neurologist by the way). For a little more details, I also like All About Asset Allocation or The Intelligent Asset Allocator (by same author as Four Pillars).

Finally another amazing resource is the Bogleheads Forum (Bogleheads.org - Index page). Post whatever personal, anonymous financial questions you have or just peruse what others have posted to find a wealth of information about personal finance. Also a lot of stuff in there about the "science" of finance if you care for a deeper dive.

Last edited:

It automatically made it into a link.

One of them is the bogleheads guide to the 3 fund portfolio.

The other one is literally called the smartest portfolio you'll ever own

I can see the books, but here they are in text:

The Bogleheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio

The Smartest Portfolio You'll Ever Own

I'll add to this list. I like The Bogleheads Guide to Investing as well as Four Pillars of Investing (written by a neurologist by the way). For a little more details, I also like All About Asset Allocation or The Intelligent Asset Allocator (by same author as Four Pillars).

Finally another amazing resource is the Bogleheads Forum (Bogleheads.org - Index page). Post whatever personal, anonymous financial questions you have or just peruse what others have posted to find a wealth of information about personal finance. Also a lot of stuff in there about the "science" of finance if you care for a deeper dive.

Yeah I've read those too. Thanks for recommending the forum as well, i found it a year ago and that too is a great resource

Do you plan on buying a house? When?

1.5 years from now when wife finishes residency. We will move one more time then and likely buy something up to 500k somewhere in Texas, or at least the plan is to move back to Texas, will see what the job market looks like and where we end up.

450k salary right out of residency?

Yes. 12 x 12 shifts. Dedicated nocturnist, averaging 19-20 patients a shift. 20k vol place staffed with 24 hours physicians and 12 hours app. $265/hour.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. 12 x 12 shifts. Dedicated nocturnist, averaging 19-20 patients a shift. 20k vol place staffed with 24 hours physicians and 12 hours app. $265/hour.

I'm not an attending but that sounds great. A lot of work for a lot of money. Nice job

I'm not an attending but that sounds great. A lot of work for a lot of money. Nice job

Eh.... It's good money, but single coverage is tough, especially when the PA leaves at 10 pm and between 9 to 11 we get 15-16 patient boluses. Yesterday had 16 patients show up in 3 hours between 9 to 12, decent acuity. Day before yesterday had 15 in two hours from 9 to 11, 2 went to ICU, 4 of them were admits, 1 was bleeding to death with bp 64/40 on arrival and flight wasn't flying due to weather. She needed a vascular surgeon which my tiny hospital doesn't have.

It is rough somedays, most days are okay, some days are amazing. I see 70 percent of my volume in the first 5-6 hours, and sometimes that means seeing 20-25 in 5-6 hours on a busy high volume day. But some amazing days i might see 10-15 in an entire shift.

Well done.

But I think to answer why people take 10+ years to do it:

1: For some people, waiting 10 years for PSLF keeps payments low, can make loans cost significantly less in total.

2: Not everyone gets lucky in the stock martket. I'm not saying you only made money because you got lucky, but everyone looks like a genius in a bull market. Would you advise a medical student to take out an extra 10k/year in loans and invest in TSLA, FB, and AMZN?

3: Not everyone can make 450k/year and still be happy. Sometimes things like living near family are more important that loan payments. And if that's in Denver, good luck paying your loans off in 6 attending paychecks making 140/hr.

In any case, you did really well with your money! Congrats!

It's definitely a story worth sharing. Although not everything is easily replicable, I think a few things are:

1: Get a roommate in school/residency. Lower your housing costs.
2: Don't be afraid to moonlight, put that money toward your loans.
3: Know your worth and negotiate your salaries.
4: Consider geographical arbitrage. Make more money to live somewhere less desirable.
5: Apply for scholarships.

Well done.

1: For some people, waiting 10 years for PSLF keeps payments low, can make loans cost significantly less in total.

2: Not everyone gets lucky in the stock martket. I'm not saying you only made money because you got lucky, but everyone looks like a genius in a bull market. Would you advise a medical student to take out an extra 10k/year in loans and invest in TSLA, FB, and AMZN?

3: Not everyone can make 450k/year and still be happy. Sometimes things like living near family are more important that loan payments. And if that's in Denver, good luck paying your loans off in 6 attending paychecks making 140/hr.

In any case, you did really well with your money! Congrats!

It's definitely a story worth sharing. Although not everything is easily replicable, I think a few things are:

1: Get a roommate in school/residency. Lower your housing costs.
2: Don't be afraid to moonlight, put that money toward your loans.
3: Know your worth and negotiate your salaries.
4: Consider geographical arbitrage. Make more money to live somewhere less desirable.
5: Apply for scholarships.

I actually didn't get lucky in the stock market, i screwed up. I took small profits and didn't hold on, barely enough to cover the 6.8 percent federal interest rate. But i still had a large chunk of money that was eventually there to use. I've been a terrible investor up until the last 3 years when i really started educating myself on the subject. If i had just put my money in VTI and not touched it, id be 70-80k richer.

I also had a very strict geographical restriction due to my wife's residency. We live in a mid size 200-300k sized city. The city jobs were 185-215/hour (after negotiation). I chose to work 55 minutes outside of the city that paid $265/hour. Negotiation started at $230/hr. I commute 55 minutes each way 12 days a month.

Not right now. Market is very high in many places in the U.S. Renting is the best strategy until there's a market correction.

What makes you think that? You can buy a palatial home in suburban houston for less about $100 per square foot.

I trained in Michigan, and even the nice suburbs were quite affordable in the Detroit metro/Ann Arbor area.

That being said, I have nothing against renting and you will likely come out ahead financially most of the time assuming you’re investing the savings that would have otherwise gone into interest, HOA, property tax, and homeowners insurance. We waited a long time and rented until I saved up (now) and making a 50% down payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you think that? You can buy a palatial home in suburban houston for less about $100 per square foot.

I trained in Michigan, and even the nice suburbs were quite affordable in the Detroit metro/Ann Arbor area.

That being said, I have nothing against renting and you will likely come out ahead financially most of the time assuming you’re investing the savings that would have otherwise gone into interest, HOA, property tax, and homeowners insurance. We waited a long time and rented until I saved up (now) and making a 50% down payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
re.gif

Is this doable for EM, ive been told not really

It is rarely in shops where you are employed directly by University hospitals. Those are few places around.

It doesn't make sense for EM unless someone has a ridiculous amount of debt.

But things to keep in mind, whatever loan is forgiven, you're on the hook for the taxes on that money, that will be a lot of money. Plus once you hit attending status, your payments are going to be pretty significant anyway, chances are you'll still end up paying a decent chunk of your loan.

Plus not up mention that you'll likely take a large pay cut when you work for a university. More like 250-300k salary. And that's an opportunity cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It is rarely in shops where you are employed directly by University hospitals. Those are few places around.

It doesn't make sense for EM unless someone has a ridiculous amount of debt.

But things to keep in mind, whatever loan is forgiven, you're on the hook for the taxes on that money, that will be a lot of money. Plus you'll once you hit attending status, your payments are going to be pretty significant anyway, chances are you'll still end up paying a decent chunk of your loan.

Plus not up mention that you'll likely take a large pay cut when you work for a university. More like 250-300k salary. And that's an opportunity cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
i think all in im at 450k... ***

plan to live modestly like you did and try and just kick ass I suppose for my first 2 or 3 years

finish my last rotation of school this week, i guess i should be looking to refi right?

plan to live modestly like you did and try and just kick ass I suppose for my first 2 or 3 years

finish my last rotation of school this week, i guess i should be looking to refi right?

Yes you should. I messed up there personally.

I didn't realize that there are some private loans that still come with significant protection in case of my death. I used to think that only government loans have this amazing protection that if i die, no one else is on the hook for my debt.

I eventually looked into refinancing by the end of residency, got a quote of 3.5 percent from earnest, i have a credit score in the 780-800 range. I did calculations based on when i knew i was going to be paid off, i was basically saving $3-400 in total. I just didn't feel it was worth my time to go through paperwork for that money. I hate paperwork and i value my time immensely now.

Also there is no loan forgiveness by the way if you refinance, just so you know.

But if you got half a million forgiven, you're looking at a 35-37 percent federal tax bill, and I'm assuming probably a state and city tax bill depending on where you live. Where i am, that's another 7 percent for city and state combined.

Also there is no loan forgiveness by the way if you refinance, just so you know.
yeah ive been holding off refi bc of this but have kind of realized that EM doesnt lend itself to pslf

also tried to get a quote or something from laurel road yesterday and they denied me for a charged off credit card from like 5 years ago :(

Ive got some private and government loans, they'll refi all of them or just the grad plus bs?

yeah ive been holding off refi bc of this but have kind of realized that EM doesnt lend itself to pslf

also tried to get a quote or something from laurel road yesterday and they denied me for a charged off credit card from like 5 years ago :(

Ive got some private and government loans, they'll refi all of them or just the grad plus bs?

I'm not an expert on refinancing loans because i never got it done. But i would assume you could get everything education related refinanced. I could be wrong, I've never seriously looked into refinancing.

Check sofi, earnest, and the white coat investor website for referral links as you'll get cash back for refinancing if you use Jim's links.

But if you got half a million forgiven, you're looking at a 35-37 percent federal tax bill, and I'm assuming probably a state and city tax bill depending on where you live. Where i am, that's another 7 percent for city and state combined.

PSLF is not taxed.

PSLF is not taxed.

Good to know. I personally have never looked into pslf or refinancing. Heard a white coat podcast where i think i had heard that there was a tax, but sounds like i was wrong.

Nice job. I thought I did well paying $310k @ 7.2% in 3 years but you rocked it.

Agree with the boglehead three fund portfolio. At the very least will save you the 1% AUM fee from an advisor with no downside.. although lately my 3 fund has become almost entirely VTI with a little BND thrown in.. your FIRE number is around my goal for independence/retirement at 45.

Only thing I'd say is, pay attention to your personal health working a lot of single coverage 12 hr night shifts. 9s/10s are way more sustainable so 5 yrs from now if you feel the burnout, may be time for a switch.

Also dude go reward yourself. If you have a hobby/interest that you've cultivated for years like music or photography, etc, go out and feed your interests. Makes the time until financial independence much more enjoyable. I'm not saying take up flying and buy a new bonanza but $10k on a motorcycle or a few grand on a guitar or something is nothing.

Nice job. I thought I did well paying $310k @ 7.2% in 3 years but you rocked it.

Agree with the boglehead three fund portfolio. At the very least will save you the 1% AUM fee from an advisor with no downside.. although lately my 3 fund has become almost entirely VTI with a little BND thrown in.. your FIRE number is around my goal for independence/retirement at 45.

Only thing I'd say is, pay attention to your personal health working a lot of single coverage 12 hr night shifts. 9s/10s are way more sustainable so 5 yrs from now if you feel the burnout, may be time for a switch.

Also dude go reward yourself. If you have a hobby/interest that you've cultivated for years like music or photography, etc, go out and feed your interests. Makes the time until financial independence much more enjoyable. I'm not saying take up flying and buy a new bonanza but $10k on a motorcycle or a few grand on a guitar or something is nothing.

I've already promised myself that my next job will be an extremely chill 1.3-1.5 pph gig. I'll happily take a pay cut, but our family income will still go up since my wife will be a FM attending then. So yeah... Will get a really slow and sustainable job next.

My reward to myself has been reigniting the entrepreneur in myself in the last 2 months. Started 3 projects, out of which deciding to pursue one full time. It might be "work", but I'm doing it for myself with the goal of expediting financial Independence even more, and I've always been obsessed with building something of my own. I'm currently easily spending $500/month on this personal project right now. Buying things otherwise has never made me happy.

As a nocturnist, the last 4-5 hours of my shift are actually pretty great.

3 fund portfolio or if people are absolutely terrified of managing their finances then a Target date fund. No body should give someone 1 percent of AUM.

For personal accounts you guys should also look into M1 finance which is one of the most amazing investing platforms. It makes investing stupidly simple. I have my 3 fund set up there, and i don't even have to rebalance because the software does everything for me. Everything is just automated fully for free (no 0.25 aum like most robo advisors). Literally my only job with M1 is to decide on an asset allocation, which most people can get right after a couple of books, after that it's all automated if they stick with it.

About the only big mover stock you missed was AAPL.

Well done.

People over-estimate “being happy”. Pretty much any physician that is BC/BE can make this kind of money. The OP took 6 months to pay it off. Anyone can hold their breath for a few years, then focus on being ”happy” After their mess is cleaned up.

I congratulate the OP. Pay off that car. Get a job that you can stay in for a while, or try and change your contract to work at a pace you can live with.

You will be much more wealthy by working the next 20 years, rather than killing yourself for a set sum then trying to live off it for the next 30+ years.

Not right now. Market is very high in many places in the U.S. Renting is the best strategy until there's a market correction.

How do you know the market will drop? Or when it will drop? People should buy when they have the money and are going to live there for the foreseeable future. A sizable down payment reduces the risk of being stuck in a house.

I just think it is unwise to hold onto cash because they think they can time the market. You can’t. Even if you do buy and the bottom falls out, chances are it will rebound within a year or two.

How do you know the market will drop? Or when it will drop? People should buy when they have the money and are going to live there for the foreseeable future. A sizable down payment reduces the risk of being stuck in a house.

I just think it is unwise to hold onto cash because they think they can time the market. You can’t. Even if you do buy and the bottom falls out, chances are it will rebound within a year or two.

If I knew when the market will drop I wouldn't be practicing clinical medicine. No one knows. The fact is that housing in most large markets is at record highs, and affordability is low. Add to that the longest economic expansion in 50 years, and it all points to a major contraction/recession. When will that come? Tell me, so I can sell my stocks and cash out.

About the only big mover stock you missed was AAPL.

Actually owned that too before the stock split around 650 or so (equivalent to 115 or so of today's stock price). It took a decent dip after that in late 2015 and early 2016, right after i had bought it, and the amateur investor in me sold it at a loss.

Now my retirement account portfolio is 40% vti, 30% vxus, 20%bnd, 10% vnq (80/20 stock bond)

My post tax accounts are 50% vti, 35% vxus, 15% vteb. (85/15 stock bond)

Doesn't really get much simpler than that. Well i guess it does technically get simpler if i didn't have a real estate tilt, but oh well....

People over-estimate “being happy”. Pretty much any physician that is BC/BE can make this kind of money. The OP took 6 months to pay it off. Anyone can hold their breath for a few years, then focus on being ”happy” After their mess is cleaned up.

I congratulate the OP. Pay off that car. Get a job that you can stay in for a while, or try and change your contract to work at a pace you can live with.

You will be much more wealthy by working the next 20 years, rather than killing yourself for a set sum then trying to live off it for the next 30+ years.

Agreed. No one is really happy at work. If given the option, most people would prefer to be sipping a margarita on the beach somewhere nice. Everyone looks forward to vacations, to get away from the grind of work. Happiness is over rated. Americans put too much value in it. Work is called work for a reason, nobody really likes it more than a vacation. Im not working to find happiness, I'm happier at home, with family. I'm working to provide for my family.

On paper my job is better than the average EM doc so i can't complain, my busy day is 24 patients so 2 pph which is what an average EM doc does. And i love the days where between 1 am and 6 am 2 or 3 people show up in total. It's just stressful when the really huge boluses come in and I'm alone. But then again, every ER gets crazy. At least when I'm drowning at 11 pm, then i can always take a deep breath and tell myself that it's just 2 more hours before it slows down, it always does after 1 am.

If I knew when the market will drop I wouldn't be practicing clinical medicine. No one knows. The fact is that housing in most large markets is at record highs, and affordability is low. Add to that the longest economic expansion in 50 years, and it all points to a major contraction/recession. When will that come? Tell me, so I can sell my stocks and cash out.

Yes, every metric is essentially saying that the US market is over valued. I feel a correction will happen sooner or later. Who knows when?

Quite honestly, i would be so happy if there was a 40-50 percent decline in the next 1 year. I would probably work extra shifts if i got a 40 or more percent decline and invest everything possible

As it should. Markets need to blow off temporary setbacks instead of reacting drastically with 700 point drops like they have. This will go one of two ways:

1. Major pandemic and the Chinese economy collapses.
2. Business as usual in 2-4 months

The market is betting on the latter.

Probably business as usual. I mean... It's literally just a virus. The flu kills far far far more people every year and doesn't make the headlines. I feel it's so over blown in the media right now.

Yes, every metric is essentially saying that the US market is over valued. I feel a correction will happen sooner or later. Who knows when?

Quite honestly, i would be so happy if there was a 40-50 percent decline in the next 1 year. I would probably work extra shifts if i got a 40 or more percent decline and invest everything possible

I did the same thing in 2011 when the market reached lows. Unfortunately I was still relative new as an attending, and only had limited resources to buy a couple of properties. I doubt the scale of the next decline will match 2008-2011 but who knows? Certainly a Sanders/Warren presidency and Dem House and Senate could obliterate the economy in short order.

Agreed. No one is really happy at work. If given the option, most people would prefer to be sipping a margarita on the beach somewhere nice. Everyone looks forward to vacations, to get away from the grind of work. Happiness is over rated. Americans put too much value in it. Work is called work for a reason, nobody really likes it more than a vacation. Im not working to find happiness, I'm happier at home, with family. I'm working to provide for my family.

On paper my job is better than the average EM doc so i can't complain, my busy day is 24 patients so 2 pph which is what an average EM doc does. And i love the days where between 1 am and 6 am 2 or 3 people show up in total. It's just stressful when the really huge boluses come in and I'm alone. But then again, every ER gets crazy. At least when I'm drowning at 11 pm, then i can always take a deep breath and tell myself that it's just 2 more hours before it slows down, it always does after 1 am.

I dunno. I'm pretty happy at my newest gig. After years of hearing "we'd love to, but its just not possible" from TH, I'm learning what's possible when private equity isn't fuqing you.

Single coverage shouldn't be a thing except in <15k shops. It's dangerous for the physician and patient. At my high volume community-academic shop there is never more than 6 hrs / day (often times less) of single attending coverage - and during these times there are a couple of residents and midlevels on too.

When the hospital itself isn't owned by a**hole corporate interests who just want to buy and flip the place, you get other nice things too, like great consultant support, a good EMR, etc. Sure, I might not make $300 / hr, but I don't go home from a shift wanting to cry.

I don't think there's any way to avoid capital gains when you sell. C'est la vie.

With the right job, you can get all those things and still $300/hr. I'd still rather be at home though.
I dunno. I'm pretty happy at my newest gig. After years of hearing "we'd love to, but its just not possible" from TH, I'm learning what's possible when private equity isn't fuqing you.

Single coverage shouldn't be a thing except in day (often times less) of single attending coverage - and during these times there are a couple of residents and midlevels on too.

When the hospital itself isn't owned by a**hole corporate interests who just want to buy and flip the place, you get other nice things too, like great consultant support, a good EMR, etc. Sure, I might not make $300 / hr, but I don't go home from a shift wanting to cry.

You did very well! I had very similar numbers (maybe 305K @ 6.2%, paid off in 4.5 years). I also did it living in NorCal and raising two boys during middle school.

Not everyone is in OP's position, but what he did was fantastic. You too.

Probably business as usual. I mean... It's literally just a virus. The flu kills far far far more people every year and doesn't make the headlines. I feel it's so over blown in the media right now.

First I don't believe any "official" counts of those dead in China. it's much higher than the 900+ reported. I would at least double that number. This coronavirus appears to be less lethal than the coronavirus for SARS, which killed about 10% of people. The more deadly a virus, the less chance it has to infect others. Third, China is appearing to take this more seriously than SARS, where their reaction was late coming.

We shall see what happens, but it looks like now we are going to have 10,000's exposed to it, and 1000s dead. May not cause a "huge correction", but maybe the Chinese will temporarily stop buying Bay Area properties for 6 months as that is one of the major drivers of growth here.

Happiness is much more than that, man. I can tell you I was unhappy working 4 night shifts in a row followed by 3 day shifts. I'm much happier working 3 days in a row with a few days off in between. Does that mean I'm not happier at home than I am at work? Not at all.

Call it happiness, or call it utility, or whatever you want. It's the goal. Happiness is providing for your family. Happiness is retiring early, or retiring late. Happiness is seeing your kids grow up. Happiness is seeing your grandkids. Happiness is eating cake. Happiness is having abs. Happiness is making money. Happiness is seeing patients who say thank you. Happiness is having consultants who respect you. Happiness is working a shift that accomodates your life. Happiness is living somewhere you want to live. Happiness is different for everyone but happiness is what we strive for.

I'm glad you can't complain about your job. All I was saying is it's not possible for everyone to make that kind of money and still be happy. But, cool, it sounds like you are.

Last edited:
We've strayed a bit (waaaay) off the topic of paying off student loans quickly as an attending. Maybe make another thread on virus origin theories?

Who are you? And, you DID give a like to one of the "virus" posts, which removes any "referee/official" position. You are now part of the fray, instead of above it.

It's not going to be split up. If you hadn't posted, there would have been more than 24 hours between posts. Not exactly on fire.