6 in verbal...please help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i'm a 3.5 overall and scince wth a 25 mcat. however i got a 6 in the verbal, will i still get into d.o. schools?

Members don't see this ad.

someone else might be able to answer this better for you, but it seems that many of the schools have cut offs, thats to say that wouldnt accept anyone with lower than a 7 in any category, regardless or total score.

i am not sure what these cut offs are if school's do indeed have them. you may want to contact individual schools yourself to really know the answer to your question.

hope this helps a little though! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a six in VR and got an interview! Whooda thunk it?

I applied to 16 schools, i really hope that this 6 doesn't come to haunt me... My top choices are msu, azcom, ccom, and kcom. im crossing my fingers that i get into one of these four...

I have a 6 in physics and I've been accepted to two schools.

ambernikel said:
I have a 6 in physics and I've been accepted to two schools.

congratulations on ure acceptances!!!! if u don't mind me asking what was ure gpa and how many/where interviews did you get? thanks for the encouragement.

I had a 6 in verbal (10's in the other sections). My GPA is 3.75. I have been accepted to PCOM, UMDNJ, WesternU, and Touro. I had an interview at CCOM during the first week of interviews and expect to hear from the committee next week. As long as you write a solid personal statement and strong supplemental essays, I think you should be fine.

If you still are worried about your score, you can ask one of your LOR writers include something about your communication and comprehension skills. For example, I asked my upper level English prof to comment on my writing skills in my LOR. My research mentor also included in his letter that I was able to incorporate complicated journal articles into my own HHMI research proposal (which I was awarded) and I had participated in many poster presentations.

So I think that if you are a strong applicant in other ways, the admissions committee will look past your score. I was asked about my verbal score in 4 of 5 interviews, so make sure you think of a good reason as to why your score is low. Good luck! :)

You should be fine, I have gotten into 2 schools with a 5 in Verbal (25 total). I also have received interview invites to a total of 7 schools. 3.3 overall and 3.8 science. I agree with above poster, write a good personal statement and you should be fine.

FS-Pro said:
You should be fine, I have gotten into 2 schools with a 5 in Verbal (25 total). I also have received interview invites to a total of 7 schools. 3.3 overall and 3.8 science. I agree with above poster, write a good personal statement and you should be fine.

holy crap!! HOLY CRAP!! :)

FS-Pro said:

to you, and all the fine sdn'ers for the kind words, thanks...i appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. would any of you guys be kind enough to read my personal statement (i already submitted, but just to see what u guys think). i can pm it to someone or email it. Thanks so much..

Send it to me, I'll read it. I get off work in about 3 hours and will probably not read it until the morning, but I'll let you know what I think.
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be an uphill battle, though, don't be fooled. That battle, however, is over once your in the door. One of my buddies in school didn't do great on the test (below 25), but he is now one of the top students in the class. Sometimes you have a bad day, and you should state that.

docmd2010 said:
Hey guys i'm a 3.5 overall and scince wth a 25 mcat. however i got a 6 in the verbal, will i still get into d.o. schools?
apply broadly and start studying for the next MCAT. make sure your timing is down for verbal...that helped me quite a bit. :thumbup:

docmd2010 said:

YES you will get in somewhere. You might be at a disadvantage applying later in the cycle. I applied as soon as I could this application cylcle with the same MCAT and 3.65 overall and had 4 interviews by October and was accepted at Touro and pulled all of my other interviews.

docmd2010 said:
congratulations on ure acceptances!!!! if u don't mind me asking what was ure gpa and how many/where interviews did you get? thanks for the encouragement.
I have a 3.4 overall and a ~3.54 aacomas and a 3.6 bcmp. I applied to 6 schools, withdrew 2, 2 interview/acceptances, 1 reject, 1 waiting to hear. I have great LOR's from DO & MD and lots of work/volunteer/internship experience. I got an 11V, Qessay and 7Bio. I don't know why my bio was so low (A's in histo, patho, anat, organic, genchem, etc). One of the schools asked me to explain my MCAT score but having not taken many important classes (such as physics) helped explain.

I think it is true that sometimes you just have a bad day. My bio score was way higher on all my practice exams and I'm thinking about retaking in April just to see if it opens up any scholarship opportunities for me at the school I end up going to. I think that having a well rounded app and writing good essays goes a long way.

I think you'll do fine. Good luck!! :)

docmd2010 said:

I have a classmate here at UMDNJ-SOM who had a 6 on her verbal. She was accepted. So the answer is: It depends on "other factors" (leadership positions, volunteer, personal statement, research, shadowing, getting admissions to get to know you, race, ethnicity, creed, the tie you're wearing, the amount of freckles on your left buttcheek, you're food preferences, whether you happen to like the same book as the admissions officer who interviews you, you're knowledge of P-450 oxidation reaction inhibitors, your ability to hold your breath underwater while being attacked by viscious paranas, the kind of doctor you claim to want to be, whether you invented the iron lung... oh and reccomendations.)

So if you can factor those things together with your VR-6, you should have a pretty good idea of how you fare. Good luck.

Kevbot said:
I have a classmate here at UMDNJ-SOM who had a 6 on her verbal. She was accepted. So the answer is: It depends on "other factors" (leadership positions, volunteer, personal statement, research, shadowing, getting admissions to get to know you, race, ethnicity, creed, the tie you're wearing, the amount of freckles on your left buttcheek, you're food preferences, whether you happen to like the same book as the admissions officer who interviews you, you're knowledge of P-450 oxidation reaction inhibitors, your ability to hold your breath underwater while being attacked by viscious paranas, the kind of doctor you claim to want to be, whether you invented the iron lung... oh and reccomendations.)

So if you can factor those things together with your VR-6, you should have a pretty good idea of how you fare. Good luck.

I second that. It is all such a crap shoot, and depends on so many different things. I made a 6 on the August VR section, have been granted two interviews, and been accepted to one of the schools to this point. My second interview is tomorrow morning. It can definitely be done.

If by any chance, you do not get admitted to med. school, I would recommend reading books by C.S. Lewis (but not the Narnia series). If you can clearly understand his writings, you can understand anything! I read his books over an entire summer and scored a 14 on the VR portion of the MCAT.

VALSALVA said:
If by any chance, you do not get admitted to med. school, I would recommend reading books by C.S. Lewis (but not the Narnia series). If you can clearly understand his writings, you can understand anything! I read his books over an entire summer and scored a 14 on the VR portion of the MCAT.

wow!!!! a 14 in verbal?! that's so ridiculous it makes me sick...i'm in admiration of your god-like verbal abilities. so those books really helped you that much huh? glad to hear it :thumbup:

i hope i don't have to take that test again, i just wanna get in somewhere, i applied to 16 schools, so hopefully at least one will take me! ;)