6 months clinical attachment for IMG (plastic surgeon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

plastikos333

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a recently qualified plastic surgeon. MY education and training has been entirely in Pakistan.

I have been recently given a 6 months scholarship to observe / work in an international institute. My main interests are in
craniofacial,
head and neck recon and
microvascular.

I have a substantial experience in microvascular and am eager to go into supermicro ( perf flaps).

I have qualified USMLE Sep I and II long time back and TOEFL. Do I have a chance of getting an attachment in a US hospital for 6 months. I will be unable to pay anu tution fee but will fully support my self as regards food and accomodation.

The one condition of my scholarship is that it has to start before 30 Jun 2008
 
You might try looking into the Plastic Surgery Educational Fund at www.plasticsurgery.org/PSEF . Among other things, PSEF helps fund US observerships for foreign plastic surgeons. You might have trouble getting a US hospital to let you operate, since you won't be covered by their malpractice insurance.
 
You might also consider a one year fellowship. There are micro fellowships available, but you would need to have all three Steps and the appropriate visa.

--M
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your help. I have applied for PSEF fellowship. Last years fellowship was awarded to a plastic surgeon from Pakistan. It seems unlikely that it will again be awareded to a Pakistani surgeon. Thanks for your help. Good luck in your career.

Muhammad Zia ul Islam MD