6 months off from Ortho Residency - Interruption.

Started by OrthoBod
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OrthoBod

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone.

I am PGY 3 in Ortho, not in a North American residency (So different system and rules)

Because of a very complicated situation, my program director has allowed me 6 months off until I settle my issues. We call it 'Freezing' residency here. We continue to work in the clinics - ortho or non ortho (no oncalls, no weekend duty - very rarely done - unless situation is crazy).
While I settle my issues, I have down time to read or do mcqs or prepare textually for surgeries and so on.

If you were given 6 months off, how would you plan it?
How do you advise me to plan it?

Time available to me per day is at least 6 hours when I am done from clinic.
Duration 6 months.

Many thanks
 
Hello Everyone.

I am PGY 3 in Ortho, not in a North American residency (So different system and rules)

Because of a very complicated situation, my program director has allowed me 6 months off until I settle my issues. We call it 'Freezing' residency here. We continue to work in the clinics - ortho or non ortho (no oncalls, no weekend duty - very rarely done - unless situation is crazy).
While I settle my issues, I have down time to read or do mcqs or prepare textually for surgeries and so on.

If you were given 6 months off, how would you plan it?
How do you advise me to plan it?

Time available to me per day is at least 6 hours when I am done from clinic.
Duration 6 months.

Many thanks
Is there any chance that filling that time detracts from you settling your problem.?
 
Not really.
I should be absolutely fine utilizing the evenings for ortho.
What would you suggest?