6 months off from Ortho Residency - Interruption.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoBod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am PGY 3 in Ortho, not in a North American residency (So different system and rules)

Because of a very complicated situation, my program director has allowed me 6 months off until I settle my issues. We call it 'Freezing' residency here. We continue to work in the clinics - ortho or non ortho (no oncalls, no weekend duty - very rarely done - unless situation is crazy).
While I settle my issues, I have down time to read or do mcqs or prepare textually for surgeries and so on.

If you were given 6 months off, how would you plan it?
How do you advise me to plan it?

Time available to me per day is at least 6 hours when I am done from clinic.
Duration 6 months.

Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone.

I am PGY 3 in Ortho, not in a North American residency (So different system and rules)

Because of a very complicated situation, my program director has allowed me 6 months off until I settle my issues. We call it 'Freezing' residency here. We continue to work in the clinics - ortho or non ortho (no oncalls, no weekend duty - very rarely done - unless situation is crazy).
While I settle my issues, I have down time to read or do mcqs or prepare textually for surgeries and so on.

If you were given 6 months off, how would you plan it?
How do you advise me to plan it?

Time available to me per day is at least 6 hours when I am done from clinic.
Duration 6 months.

Many thanks
Is there any chance that filling that time detracts from you settling your problem.?

Not really.
I should be absolutely fine utilizing the evenings for ortho.
What would you suggest?