6 Weeks Vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twiggidy

Manny Rivers Cuomo
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a practice is offering 6 weeks vacation, what else should they be offering? Seems low given some of the posts I read on here. Seems like most people are 8 and above.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We start at six. Incremental to eight. The first six have to be taken as a whole week. The later two can be taken one day at a time.

My last job was six total. But “unlimited” sick days.

Many junior partner positions start at 6. Usually increase at partnership. I interviewed at an academic center that only offered 4 wks, so lots of variability.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my mind 6 weeks is minimum. If you top off at 6 weeks then I would think that the call burden…especially weekend call burden…would be on the lighter side.

In my mind 6 weeks is minimum. If you top off at 6 weeks then I would think that the call burden…especially weekend call burden…would be on the lighter side.
Describe what you think a lighter call burden looks like....I'm not being sarcastic. Genuinely asking because one person's heavy is another person's light.

Describe what you think a lighter call burden looks like....I'm not being sarcastic. Genuinely asking because one person's heavy is another person's light.

I would say 8 has been what I've seen at most placed, upto 10 weeks, but as low as 5 for partnership track people. If as a partner you are still taking 6 weeks, then you should be getting paid more than those who take more vacation in a similar geographic area with similar payor mix.

A heavy weekend call burden for me would be 1 weekend every 4-6 weeks if you are some kind of call both Saturday and Sunday. If your weekend call frequency is less than that then 6 weeks might be ok. There’s a lot of variables to consider like intensity of call, guaranteed post call days off, etc. If you really want to be objective then count up all the days off you would have per year…weekends, holidays, vacation days, and count it that way. I don’t count post call days as off because often you are too tired for it to be worthwhile.

For me, a high call frequency, but low call intensity could be just as bad as a low call frequency with high intensity call. Just having to know my phone is nearby and could ring any minute is tiring. I like have days where I don’t have to think about hospitals and medicine.

Light:
one weekend day (Fri, Sat, perhaps Sunday) every 6 weeks.

One weekday overnight every 4-6 weeks.
2nd/3rd call every 2-4 weeks.

Or

9 weekend day a year.
12 overnight a year.
12-18 late call a year.
————
There’s a place selling
12 weekend day a year
24 overnight year
36 late call
For 500+
And potential for much more if taken on more.
I think not worth it.

Well it's a multispecialty group as well, so the 6 weeks maybe an across the board organizational thing.