6 year program in the Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mconnell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on schools that offer a 6 year program in medicine in the Philippines? A program that does not require a bachelors degree as an entry requirement? Do these type of schools exist in the Philippines? I have heard that La Salle and UP have them but cannot find info on La Salle's website and have heard that it is difficult to get into UP unless you are Filipino (I am not, I am from the US with no Filipino ancestry.

Thank you for any help/information you may be able to provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mconnell,

Well Lasalle's 6-year program is called BS human biology. It consist of 2 years of premed at DLSU-Manila (which also occupies 2 summers), after which you will be required to go to DLSU-HSC Cavite to continue your med school. After you first year of med school in Cavite, you graduate your pre-med (overlapping of "third year" pre-med which is also your first year of medical school). Then you just continue with med school in Cavite until 4th year (which in the BS hum-bio program is your 6th year). Then you get MD degree. :) So after graduation you can take your internship anywhere. :) But I think to be able to get into this BS HUM-BIO program, you have to get top scores in their entrance exam.

I think you'll find info regarding BS Hum-BIO program at lasalle's main website (not the med school website). I think its www.dlsu.edu.ph (not sure).

Hope this helps.

mconnell said:
Does anyone have any information on schools that offer a 6 year program in medicine in the Philippines? A program that does not require a bachelors degree as an entry requirement? Do these type of schools exist in the Philippines? I have heard that La Salle and UP have them but cannot find info on La Salle's website and have heard that it is difficult to get into UP unless you are Filipino (I am not, I am from the US with no Filipino ancestry.

Thank you for any help/information you may be able to provide.
Even among Filipinos, the UP Program is extremely competitive. They only take 40 students and they have to score among the top 100 in their UPCAT test (with tens of thousands of examinees). It's actually a 7 year program as the med proper component will require a 5th year internship prior to graduation. You don't really save much time there as a foreigner.

The La Salle Human Biology program is also competitive as they usually take the best student applicants. You can inquire with their administration how to qualify. If you have a Bachelors degree, their College of Medicine program is not competitive but that's probably not your intention anyway as you're trying to save time.