6 year program vs 8 years.

Kodiak_

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a high school student right now. I plan to study veterinary medicine. As of now, my dream school is University of Sydney (USYD). My state school in University of Tennessee (UTK). I really want to go to USYD, but UTK is about 100k cheaper. But, USYD's program is 6 years and all the classes are veterinary related, but in undergrad for UTK it would be 4 years, and there would be plenty of classes I would have to take even though I wouldn't enjoy them.

Addditionally, going for USYD is a much more likely school to get into. I can get into the DVM program straight out of high school, so once I get into USYD, there would be no worrying about not getting into vet school. As for UTK, it's very possible I work as hard so hard in undergrad and then not even get into vet school.

USYD is a significantly better school than UTK on all the ranking lists. Also, some people the would say that the 100k less for UTK means go there no matter what, but to me, that 2 year longer program may not be worth that to me.

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose I never really asked a question.. Is it worth the extra 100k to save 2 years of schooling and study and live in a place I would really enjoy? Plus, USYD is much more prestigious than UTK so I imagine that would help at least a little in the long run.

I suppose I never really asked a question.. Is it worth the extra 100k to save 2 years of schooling and study and live in a place I would really enjoy? Plus, USYD is much more prestigious than UTK so I imagine that would help at least a little in the long run.
No one can answer this question for you, but I would skip the debt. How good are you in the sciences? Do you feel like you have a good chance of getting into the vet program at U Tennessee?

The way I see it, you should make a pros and cons list
Pros of U Tennessee:
Less debt
4 years schooling

Cons of U Tennessee:
Possibly less of a sure shot

Pros of U Sydney:
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Cons of U Sydney:
$100k
6 years school

Have you gotten into both of these schools? That wasn't clear from your post. If you have gotten into U Sydney and are confident that you can do well there, I would go w/that school.
Kodiak_ said:
I can get into the DVM program straight out of high school, so once I get into USYD, there would be no worrying about not getting into vet school.
This is the part of your post that confuses me. Does U Tennessee have a similar policy? If so, go w/them. No use wasting extra time and money. If Sydney is a sure shot, and you are a strong science/math person, go with them.

Are you a Tennessee native? A word of caution about U Sydney, as you quite likely already know: There's no such thing as a free lunch. So keep that in mind, keep us updated, and good luck! :)

Hi, I'm a high school student right now. I plan to study veterinary medicine. As of now, my dream school is University of Sydney (USYD). My state school in University of Tennessee (UTK). I really want to go to USYD, but UTK is about 100k cheaper. But, USYD's program is 6 years and all the classes are veterinary related, but in undergrad for UTK it would be 4 years, and there would be plenty of classes I would have to take even though I wouldn't enjoy them.

Addditionally, going for USYD is a much more likely school to get into. I can get into the DVM program straight out of high school, so once I get into USYD, there would be no worrying about not getting into vet school. As for UTK, it's very possible I work as hard so hard in undergrad and then not even get into vet school.

USYD is a significantly better school than UTK on all the ranking lists. Also, some people the would say that the 100k less for UTK means go there no matter what, but to me, that 2 year longer program may not be worth that to me.
I’m not sure how I stumbled on this thread. I am curious. How did you come up with applying to vet school halfway across the world in Australia? Is this something common for american pre vet students to do?