$60 dollars per hour for pharmacy technician, will pay for pharmacist jump to $120?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ornithoptor

long time observer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

See below:​

Pharmacy Tech - Short Term Option With Premium Pay - Full Time Evenings​

Job LocationsUS-IL-Chicago

Job Opening ID 2022-185493 Category Pharmacy Services Ministry Ascension IllinoisBusiness Unit 66500 Ascension Company Name Ascension IL

We Are Hiring​

Title: PharmacyTech Short Term Contract
Pay:
$60.00/hour, 12 week contract
Experience Required: Minimum of 2 years experience
Schedule: Full time evening shifts
Hospital: Ascension Resurrection Medical Center
Compassionate, personalized care has a new name. Resurrection Medical Center is now part of Ascension Illinois.

SHORT TERM OPTION Ascension now offers Short Term Option Pharmacy Tech opportunities! As a Short Term Option Pharmacy Tech, you will have the unique opportunity to work for a specific period of time and receive premium compensation for your dedicated commitment in a short term position.

Will pharmacist pay move up proportionally? Will technician make more than a pharmacist. How long will this premium pay last if market does not improve. Interesting questions for interesting time. Class of 2022, watch out! Use this to negotiate better offers.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it’s pretty much impossible that there is a future where pharmacists pay goes to 120/hr, it has been decreasing for a very long time. The slight uptick in hiring during COVID was due to a shortage of pharmacists willing to work (not shortage of pharmacists as there are still 15,000 being pushed out every year), primarily driven by loan pauses and work conditions. If anything, once loans resume in a couple of months, pay will decrease further once everyone flocks back for whatever rate/hr due to needing to pay loans. Tech pay has been increasing (as it should due to the work/conditions) and i imagine it will stay close to pharmacists wages as the 30,40/hr for techs is becoming more and more common.

when you think about the responsibilities and the pressure/stress that an Rph has to go through to get 50-65/hr.... while their subordinates get 30-40 and increasing

may come a time when an Rph will renounce their license and just go back to being techs :lol:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

See below:​

Pharmacy Tech - Short Term Option With Premium Pay - Full Time Evenings​

Job LocationsUS-IL-Chicago

Job Opening ID 2022-185493 Category Pharmacy Services Ministry Ascension IllinoisBusiness Unit 66500 Ascension Company Name Ascension IL

We Are Hiring​

Title: PharmacyTech Short Term Contract
Pay:
$60.00/hour, 12 week contract
Experience Required: Minimum of 2 years experience
Schedule: Full time evening shifts
Hospital: Ascension Resurrection Medical Center
Compassionate, personalized care has a new name. Resurrection Medical Center is now part of Ascension Illinois.

SHORT TERM OPTION Ascension now offers Short Term Option Pharmacy Tech opportunities! As a Short Term Option Pharmacy Tech, you will have the unique opportunity to work for a specific period of time and receive premium compensation for your dedicated commitment in a short term position.

Will pharmacist pay move up proportionally? Will technician make more than a pharmacist. How long will this premium pay last if market does not improve. Interesting questions for interesting time. Class of 2022, watch out! Use this to negotiate better offers.

Lmao - no….

I do Not have the energy to explain myself as to why rph wages will not double as things currently stand.

Now if we were predicting tech wages to double and rph wages to 1/2 - I would consider this

I would say it’s pretty much impossible that there is a future where pharmacists pay goes to 120/hr, it has been decreasing for a very long time. The slight uptick in hiring during COVID was due to a shortage of pharmacists willing to work (not shortage of pharmacists as there are still 15,000 being pushed out every year), primarily driven by loan pauses and work conditions. If anything, once loans resume in a couple of months, pay will decrease further once everyone flocks back for whatever rate/hr due to needing to pay loans. Tech pay has been increasing (as it should due to the work/conditions) and i imagine it will stay close to pharmacists wages as the 30,40/hr for techs is becoming more and more common.
I dont think loans will drive many pharmacists back because if they are not earning then their payment is $0 and it still counts towards IBR/PAYE

We are close to/over 100 an hour in California I believe- Kaiser and other hospital rates especially in North part of state. not quite 120 though

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm… So what is the better deal? $50-60 per hour without $250K student loan. Or $60-70 with risks and liabilities but being called “doctor”.

What lessons have we learned from this? Pharmacy technicians left in droves and salary doubled (although temporarily). Maybe pharmacist could try quitting too.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm… So what is the better deal? $50-60 per hour without $250K student loan. Or $60-70 with risks and liabilities but being called “doctor”.

What lessons have we learned from this? Pharmacy technicians left in droves and salary doubled (although temporarily). Maybe pharmacist could try quitting too.
Some did, but they gave up the fight

Some did, but they gave up the fight
I was wondering how I didn't hear anything about this until I looked at the date

I was thinking the same thing - if they were that disgruntled back in 2005, imagine how they feel now.
I was downstate (non union) at the time so remember it. I wonder how much money they left on the table now because they gave in for short term gain.

I was downstate (non union) at the time so remember it. I wonder how much money they left on the table now because they gave in for short term gain.

I was a pharmacy student at UI Chicago back then and remembered this vividly.
One manager could cover for staff when numerous pharmacists floaters from Wisconsin and Indiana were sent to support Walgreens. Union called strike with insufficient legitimacy and never garnered enough supports. The attempted strikes were doomed from the start.

The pharmacy union war has been lost prior to this particular strike. It went back even further when nurses picked the rights to join union and pharmacists picked money, prestige, autonomy and the professional pride.

I don’t think pharmacists will ever be able to mount another effort to unionize when:
Pharmacists in other settings ignore the suffering of retail pharmacists.
New pharmacists with sizable student loan to pay off.
Pharmacists lack leaders with rebellious spirits, most would rather quit than stir the pots. M
Professional organizations does not support any attempts to unionize.
Schools that receive money from the retail giants instill students with opposing thoughts!
Some pharmacists are wimps with Stockholm syndromes, they justify the mistreatment and pass onto their technicians. All in the name of Patient Care.
Pharmacy is a small world!

Feel free to add or oppose my thoughts.

when you think about the responsibilities and the pressure/stress that an Rph has to go through to get 50-65/hr.... while their subordinates get 30-40 and increasing

may come a time when an Rph will renounce their license and just go back to being techs :lol:

This is something I joked with my techs about a year ago...it may just become a reality now... 😆

I've gotta say, it would certainly be nice to have 15 minute breaks again, to go to lunch wherever I want, no more 10-12 hour days...

Last edited:
This is something I joked with my techs about a year ago...it may just become a reality now... 😆

I've gotta say, it would certainly be nice to have 15 minute breaks again, to go to lunch wherever I want, no more 10-12 hour days...
ugh u can do that now u just choose not to.

If you're a short-term contract/travel pharmacist making <$120/hr, you're probably doing something wrong.

We are close to/over 100 an hour in California I believe- Kaiser and other hospital rates especially in North part of state. not quite 120 though

This is about right. And if you factor in the occasional overtime at the mandated rate, and shift differentials for evenings, you could probably hit an overall average of $120/hr.

Overnight pharmacists are probably making this much, or close to it, depending on the rest of the compensation package.

If you're a short-term contract/travel pharmacist making <$120/hr, you're probably doing something wrong.

This is about right. And if you factor in the occasional overtime at the mandated rate, and shift differentials for evenings, you could probably hit an overall average of $120/hr.

Overnight pharmacists are probably making this much, or close to it, depending on the rest of the compensation package.
Ya. I am at $115 an hour for every hour actually worked. if you take into account shift dif, work 70 get paid for 80 and pdo. My base is $72 an hour.