60 mins: SGB for PTSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else have experience with these? I've done 3-5 patient for a psychiatrist friend. 2 were clear home runs. The others were lost to follow-up (I just do straight to injection referral). Cash pay. The two who benefited, it was a very rewarding experience.

Members don't see this ad.

many years ago I had a PTSD vet patient I did a few of these on. Seemed to help a little, I did a few of them, but he remained really messed up and it certainly did not cure him.

Interestingly, have had a few intractible tinnitus patients SGB helped a lot.

I've probably done over 100. I don't follow the pts unless they return for another one so I can't really say the percent of success. But when they do return, they are very grateful and it's probably the most rewarding procedure I do.

I think the key is to have psychiatry intimately involved. In my clinic, the referral can only come from a psychiatrist (a particular one). The pt must be actively enrolled in a PTSD program. The pt must have a f/u appointment with psych scheduled.

Docs who order procedures have no understanding of or interest in potential complications. They order the procedure like they order french fries. If there's a complication, it's 100% on us.

I know pain doc who did this a few years ago and the pt ended up committing suicide. The doc had no protocols in place and the pt was referred by a PCP after the pt heard about the shot. So after the death, everyone descended out the woodwork on the pain doc because he was the "treating doc" for PTSD. "What other treatments did you offer the pt?" "Did you provide therapy to the pt?" Etc, etc.

I still struggle with doing the procedure because the evidence is mixed. But OTOH, it's very difficult to stop doing something that some pts appear to get tremendous benefit from.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sort of tempting but as in all things a study is needed.

Anyone else have experience with these? I've done 3-5 patient for a psychiatrist friend. 2 were clear home runs. The others were lost to follow-up (I just do straight to injection referral). Cash pay. The two who benefited, it was a very rewarding experience.

I had an opportunity to work and learn with Sean. Great guy and a badass.

I've done a handful on a few patients - very mixed results; i'm not convinced.

We’ve discussed this before. As I remember the only double blinded study out of the VA system, showed sham equivalency.