This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marzapan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Another question: when do most people get their pharmacy tech. license? I'm thinking about studying for the test and getting my license this year. Is that seen as a plus?

Some places don't hire pharmacy clerks. You need to be a licensed tech to work at Target, hospitals (most), etc. Some places like CVS will hire clerks.

As for some advice, start with volunteering at a hospital, finding a pharmacist to shadow, and research.

Also, you don't need to have a BS or bio degree to get in. For me, I found it beneficial to get a BA in psychology (easier requirements, freeing up more time to focus on pre-reqs and working and other ECs)

the prepharm society is pretty helpful in finding resources.

i was part of a pre-pharm program at the va hospital (on wilshire, on the other side of the 405) and it exposed me to a lot of factors of both inpatient and out-patient pharmacy. and the last four weeks of the program consists of shadowing clinical pharmacists.

you should get your tech license if you want a paying job in a pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely just study and take the tech test. Some of my tech coworkers wasted a lot of money and time going through the tech program to get their license while I only spent a month or so studying for free. The Mosby book is a great review book to study from.

If you're looking for a job, I would suggest calling or going to all the pharmacies around UCLA. In person is always best. That's what I did. Making friends with the pre-pharm members helps too because they can let you know if there are any openings in the pharmacies they work in.

I was a psychobiology major. It was cool because you could have some fun psych classes and still get a B.S. Just watch out for those pharm pre-reqs because I don't think any major covers all of them, like the speech and econ classes (bleh). Good luck!

Hi everyone I'm a first year at UCLA and am pretty much set on going to pharmacy school after I get my B.S. degree. I'm still trying to find my way around, so I would like to ask you guys-- how should I start preparing for pharmacy school in terms of work experience/volunteering/internships etc.? Where should I start?
I've applied for a job at the closest pharmacy, only to be told that they weren't hiring, and the care extenders internship at the hospital apparently got rid of the pharmacy department. What else can I try?
Another question: when do most people get their pharmacy tech. license? I'm thinking about studying for the test and getting my license this year. Is that seen as a plus?

go to the Ashcenter pharmacy and get a job. it's a lot better than volunteering at ucla medical center pharmacy w/o getting paid.