7-Year BS/DO--SUNY Old Westbury vs NYIT

robin_16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a high school junior from Long Island, NY, trying to create my college list. I've been interested in DO throughout high school, so I always thought that NYIT's 7 year BS/DO program would be a good match for me. However, I recently found out that NYCOM also has a BS/DO program with SUNY Old Westbury. I am looking for local colleges, and an SUNY would probably be less expensive than NYIT. Besides this, are there any advantages/disadvantages to SUNY OW or NYIT?

Members don't see this ad.

If your end goal is to go to medical schools and you will be taking out student loan, always, always, choose the cheapest option (unless you got into some top ranked schools like Princeton). For a school like NYIT, no point paying that extra money for the BS/DO program.

Why are you interested in DO already? Already done your homework on the uphill battle you'd face for a lot of residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
DO interests me because I'd like to learn OMM along with everything else; it's not because I want to get in with lower grades or anything like that. I'm aware that there are disadvantages to DO as well; I'm not trying to lock myself into something I wouldn't want in the future. I'm just searching all my options. If I do end up going with either of these 7 year programs and then change my mind during college, there's nothing stopping me from applying to MD schools afterwards.

You could probably get into a DO school if you get the minimum GPA/MCAT required by combined programs anyway, so it's not necessarily worth it to pay more for undergrad just for that unless requirements are super low

Go to a MD program if you can. OMM will be obsolete and you can take a 3 day workshop to learn OMM if your naive pre-med heart desires to do so AFTER you are done with medical school and residency.

Trust me shorty. OMM is a huggeee waste of time... and so is COMLEX.

It's going to be an obsolete test used solely by the NBOME to get money because every student needs to cough up around $2500-$3000 bucks just to sit for all 3 COMLEX exams combined.

Why?

'Merica.