8/2 Breakdown... For the Lazy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squigloo

Cutest Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I figured that after leeching off of the tons of breakdowns on here, I might as well make my own to help some people. I can be a huge slacker, especially when it comes to big tests like this. I originally set my test date for 7/14, then pushed it back a week because I knew almost nothing, then I finally pushed it back to 8/2 and got my act together for about 2 weeks. Even then, I was probably only averaging 4 hours a day because of how easily I got distracted, but it was far better than before.

My scores:

19 PAT
19 QR
24 RC :laugh:
20 Bio
20 Gen Chem
19 Orgo
20 TS
20 AA

PAT:

Hole Punching: A complete joke. I probably had several ones where there were just multiple half-folds. Way easier than CDP.
Keyholes: Ugh. This was easily my best section on CDP, but those keyholes were wayyyyy harder. Way more size comparisons.
Angles: Easier than CDP, but not by a lot. I kept reading about how they were a joke compared to CDP, but mine definitely weren't.
Pattern Folding: Bahahaha, I guessed on all of them. This section is probably why I got a 19. I have no idea to do these, and I never will.
TFE: Definitely easier than CDP. No insanely weird structures.
Cube Counting: Very easy. I had four structures, but none were above 15 cubes.

How I studied: I probably did 5 cdp tests all the way through the week before my test. PAT isn't too bad as long as you have a few of the sections you can fall back on.

QR:

I did not study at all for this aside from doing the first Qvault test. The problems on the real thing were incredibly similar to the practice test. I mean, a good portion of the same kinds of word problems showed up. I am pretty good at arithmetic and algebra, so I just used that to counter my lack of any knowledge on probability, trig, and geometry (which all showed up). The section isn't too difficult (especially if you know the stuff I didn't bother with), but it definitely takes some quick thinking.

RC:

:laugh: Seriously. I did not even do one practice test, and I started freaking out during my break because I realized I hadn't even decided on a strategy. I just decided to go with the ol' SnD (look at the question, search the passage for the key word and select answer, rinse and repeat), and apparently it paid off. My passages were pretty basic. I think they were all 14 paragraphs. I only got one tone questions, but a bunch of "finish this paragraph" and "best synonym for x" questions.

Bio

For this section, I just read through Barrons AP bio once, made notecards on pretty much everything, and reviewed those. I read through alan's notes 3 days before my test, making more cards on anything I missed from Barrons. The actual test was fair, but I wasn't a fan of it. A ton of cell bio and ecology / evolution questions, but only a few developmental bio questions, and only ONE A&P question. At least I only got one plant question. Oh, and if you are studying the night before and come across something that you think "I won't need to know that," such as a certain ecology equation (hint), it will show up. Twice.

Gen Chem

I am very sad about this score. I went through Chad's videos twice, and did all of the qvault tests, and knew pretty much everything. Even on the real thing, I only marked one gen chem question, whereas half of bio and orgo were marked. Maybe everybody just did really well on it, but I don't know. Probably about 50-50 math and concepts. Just know chad's and you will be fine.

Orgo

I am terrible at orgo, and I always will be. I used the same stuff as what I used for gen chem, but after finishing the sciences, I was certain that I got like a 15. I learned everything chad went over, but when I got different looking reagents, I just froze up. Luckily, about 40% was concepts, and I think I got most of them. No IR, and two NMR, which weren't too difficult.

Overall, I would say that the exam is not as bad as people make it seem. With a few weeks of dedication and hard work, you should be able to pull off 20+ scores, unless you're just really unlucky with what you are tested on.

If you have any questions, ask away! At least I won't be putting off anything while browsing these forums now :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've studied almost 4 months now...My average on practice tests on Bootcamp and Qvault range from 18-20...I've gone over Ferali's Notes twice and Cliff's once...I hate how the Bio section is so random and I could be tested on absolutely anything. It is so frustrating...I hope I can pull at least a 20 on bio, rc, and pat, which are my weaker sections :(. Btw good job considering you didn't study as much as a lot of other people on the forums. It does give me some hope lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've studied almost 4 months now...My average on practice tests on Bootcamp and Qvault range from 18-20...I've gone over Ferali's Notes twice and Cliff's once...I hate how the Bio section is so random and I could be tested on absolutely anything. It is so frustrating...I hope I can pull at least a 20 on bio, rc, and pat, which are my weaker sections :(. Btw good job considering you didn't study as much as a lot of other people on the forums. It does give me some hope lol.

If you're scoring 18-20 right now, you should have a good chance at the same if not better score on the real test. Make sure you cover all of your bases, and then go in-depth for the more important topics, like cell bio, developmental, A&P, and what not. For PAT, just practice and get your strategies down. RC... I don't know. Just choose what works best for you? lol

Good luck!

I think it is illegal to discuss RC topics on any website. Not just RC anything from the DAT, I just don't want you getting in trouble.

Thanks! I just changed my post. Also, would you mind getting rid of the topics in your quote please?

Congrats on being done!

Would you say the bio is as random as everyone says?

I would say its more random on whether or not you get more questions of certain topics. I've heard of people getting tons of anatomy questions, and I got one. But I wouldn't say the difficulty of the questions was absurd. The few insanely specific questions were balanced by the "wat iz a cell" level questions. If you read cliffs or barrons, supplement it with alans / feralis notes, and possibly practice with destroyer or qvault, you should be good. Unless you're unlucky enough to get a botany exam ;).

Congrats and great scores :)

Would you mind posting all your Qvualt and crack dat pat scores?

Also did you feel that Barron's was sufficient? Or was it missing a lot ?

Congrats and great scores :)

Would you mind posting all your Qvualt and crack dat pat scores?

Also did you feel that Barron's was sufficient? Or was it missing a lot ?

I'm a little embarrassed by my qvault scores... :oops:

Orgo ranged from 15 - 20 with an average around 18, bio probably ranged from 16 - 20 with an average of around 19, and my gen chem scores were typically around 19 - 20.

I took the first qr test and got a 21 on it. I would say it insanely similar to my actual qr test, but I think nerves got to me and I did my word problems much slower. I didn't do a single rc or pat qvault test.

Barron's has a good amount of information, but should definitely be supplemented by something. I liked alan's notes, and have heard great things about feralis notes as well. I had moderate success with barron's + alan's + qvault, and I think they should be good if you're looking to score decently, but not amazing. If you're shooting for a 22+, I would advise upping to cliffs ap, feralis notes, and destroyer.

Hope this was helpful, and good luck! :D