cas2022

2+ Year Member
May 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Hi everyone!
I took the DAT on Monday, August 8th. A bit of background: I am a neuroscience major and a rising junior. That being said, I have taken only one intro biology course (bad decision), but have all of general chemistry and all of organic chemistry completed.

Here’s my breakdown:

PAT: 22
QR: 27
RC: 21
BIO: 23
GC: 30
OC: 27
TS: 25
AA: 26

I followed a modified version of Ari’s schedule, only studying five days a week instead of six to accommodate my part time job. A typical day for me included studying from 9am-1pm, some form of working out (to keep my brain from shutting down on me) and working for the rest of the day. I also left an extra five days at the end of Ari’s schedule so I could review on my own time and tie up some loose ends. For each problem that I got wrong/guessed right/had answer choices that were unfamiliar, I wrote down the question accompanied by the answer and an explanation of each answer choice.

Materials I used:

1) Chad’s Videos (1x): very comprehensive. If you watch this and do gen chem/orgo destroyer, you will be set. What he writes on the whiteboard, you write down in your notebook. Take the quiz and review your notes at the end of the day. I ended up not watching his QR videos because I felt that Math Destroyer was a much better tool.

2) Cliff’s AP Bio (1x): Took notes by hand. I started off with an incredibly weak background in plants, developmental biology, diversity, and human reproduction, which I think this book covers really well. Cliff’s is lacking a bit in terms of human physiology, but is a good tool to read before you start Bio Destroyer.

3) Math Destroyer (1x): SO HELPFUL. QR is the one place that you don’t want to lose points. Destroyer teaches you how to solve those couple of questions you can’t quite remember how to do from algebra 2 and also helps build endurance.

4) DAT Destroyer (2x): Very, very helpful for me, especially in biology. Covers a huge range of topics. You’re going to want to do this at least twice so that everything really sinks in. Though I found myself becoming extremely frustrated from getting so many questions wrong, Destroyer was really the resource that helped me build mental stamina. For this resource especially, make sure you look up any answer choices you are unfamiliar with!

5) DAT Bootcamp (1x): The most similar material to what’s actually on the test. Allows you to become comfortable with the online format that you’ll be face to face with come testing day. Ari does a great job at explaining why the answer is correct and, more importantly, why other choices are wrong. Great resource for the full length tests and PAT generators. However, I found that PAT tests 6-10 were WAY harder than the real thing (1-5 were definitely more accurate).

My scores for each section of bootcamp:​

BIO: 21/18/20/23/22 AVG: 20.8
GC: 20/20/30/21/21 AVG: 22.4
OC: 27/22/25/29/28 AVG: 26.2
PAT: 19/20/20/20/20/23/21/23/22/20 AVG: 20.8
RC: 21/22/22/24/22 AVG: 22.2
QR: 30/25/22/30/25/30/23/30/30/22 AVG: 26.7

6) 2007 Official Practice Test: Orgo and the PAT were much too easy on this test. I made a lot of dumb mistakes on bio, which prompted me to heavily review during the last five days before my test.

BIO: 19/GC: 21/OC: 30/QR: 29/RC: 20/PAT: 22
AA: 24

7) 2009 Official Practice Test: Like a lot of others have said, QR on this section is insane. Lots of weird mirror problems that you won’t have enough time to solve on here, so don’t take your QR score too much into account on this test. I found this test as a pdf somewhere on SDN, and the answer key was riddled with mistakes. Of the two practice tests, this test was the most similar to the actual exam (excluding QR and PAT, which was too easy).

BIO: 21/GC: 24/OC: 20/RC: 21/QR: 19/PAT: 24
AA: 21

ACTUAL DAT
Best advice is to BE CONFIDENT and DON’T DOUBT YOURSELF! Take some deep breaths, focus, and power through the exam. You get two thin sharpie-like pens and two laminated sheets of paper that you can exchange when you fill up.

1) BIO/23
This has always been my hardest section, and it was no different on the actual DAT. No matter how much you study for bio, there are always doing to be a couple questions on some topic you’ve never seen before. Breadth over depth! In the end, I had about eight questions marked that I made guesses on.

2) CHEM/30
Problems on this section were very, very similar to those on Bootcamp. Nothing really notable.

3) ORGO/27
Again, very similar to Bootcamp. If you complete all of Bootcamp’s practice tests and do destroyer x2, you will score well on gen chem and orgo.

4) PAT/22
This section was most similar to Bootcamp tests 1-5. Compared to Bootcamp, I found keyholes to be easier, TFE to be a tiny bit harder, angle ranking the same, hole punching easier, cube counting the same, and pattern folding easier.

5) READING COMP/21
I never grasped the search and destroy method, so I opted for the “vanilla” method of just reading the entire passage and writing down keywords in each paragraph. In the end, I ran out of time to check the last ~five answers I put down.

6) QR/27
This section was harder than Bootcamp in my opinion, but still far from Destroyer level. The key to this section is to be fast and make sure you’re reading the question correctly. Again, Destroyer will teach you everything you need to know.

Last bits of advice: supplement your summer of studying with something else. Working a part time job is doable (I worked 17h/week), and so is letting yourself have fun and take breaks (I ended up going on vacation for a week and limiting myself to two weekend-long concerts). Studying day in and day out is exhausting, and your brain needs to relax! Keep yourself healthy and whatever you do, don’t lose your motivation. GOOD LUCK!

Score Report.JPG

fit2

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Those are amazing scores! Congrats!!!!

Also we have almost the exact same average in Bootcamp for sciences (haha not even close in math) so that's an encouragement. 2 days before test I'll review all the Bootcamp science questions

OP
C

cas2022

2+ Year Member
May 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Thank you!!
If your Bootcamp averages are like mine, I'm sure you'll do well on the real thing, if not better! Good luck!

fit2

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I hope i do well. I just know I make many silly mistakes so it takes more practice for me to make sure I don't make careless mistakes during the test. Eh probably adrenaline will keep me very focused on the test day.
Did you use Feralis for bio or just Cliff's and Bootcamp? Was the Bio similar/harder than Bootcamp? Was there stuff that you could have prepared for or was it just random...so the best thing to do is to try to cover the basics of as much as possible? (Not asking for specifics just advice :p )

Samin23

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Congrats OP! Would you say the GC section on your DAT was more calculations or theoretical questions?

OP
C

cas2022

2+ Year Member
May 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
@fit2 I feel you, I would make so many careless mistakes during practice tests, but during the test you're in a totally different mindset and you just have to make sure to read each question carefully. My adrenaline and nerves were so bad that I only took 5 out of my 30 minutes of allotted break (wanted to get everything over with).

Two days before the test I did skim through Feralis which is helpful because it's basically a summary of Cliffs with some added tidbits here and there (one of my bio questions was about some minute detail I read on Feralis that didn't show up on Cliffs!)

In my opinion, bio on the actual test was a little bit harder, just because there were some questions on subjects that I felt Bootcamp/Destroyer didn't really emphasize (ecology/specific disease mechanisms) and so I kinda let those topics drift to the back of my head. I got the feeling that Bootcamp really focuses on diversity/developmental bio/reproduction, when on the actual test I didn't have a single question on embryonic membranes or the menstrual cycle. The day before the test, I went and watched a couple videos on Khan Academy in the human systems section just because I didn't feel confident enough. Though I didn't see anything on the bio section that watching these could've helped me with (oh well), it did make me feel a little better before the test!

OP
C

cas2022

2+ Year Member
May 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
@Samin23 Hi! Thank you! I would say about half and half. Most of the calculation questions were the type where the answer was in the form of an expression, so no need for actual calculators so long as you know the appropriate equations. Otherwise, they were easy enough to do on your scratch paper or in your head. Concept wise, know your kinetics, thermodynamics, acid/base and equilibrium stuff well.

GC and OC were SO SO similar to Bootcamp, so if you're doing well on those practice tests I would say you're set!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samin23

fit2

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
@fit2 I feel you, I would make so many careless mistakes during practice tests, but during the test you're in a totally different mindset and you just have to make sure to read each question carefully. My adrenaline and nerves were so bad that I only took 5 out of my 30 minutes of allotted break (wanted to get everything over with).

Two days before the test I did skim through Feralis which is helpful because it's basically a summary of Cliffs with some added tidbits here and there (one of my bio questions was about some minute detail I read on Feralis that didn't show up on Cliffs!)

In my opinion, bio on the actual test was a little bit harder, just because there were some questions on subjects that I felt Bootcamp/Destroyer didn't really emphasize (ecology/specific disease mechanisms) and so I kinda let those topics drift to the back of my head. I got the feeling that Bootcamp really focuses on diversity/developmental bio/reproduction, when on the actual test I didn't have a single question on embryonic membranes or the menstrual cycle. The day before the test, I went and watched a couple videos on Khan Academy in the human systems section just because I didn't feel confident enough. Though I didn't see anything on the bio section that watching these could've helped me with (oh well), it did make me feel a little better before the test!
Haha thanks! that's good to know. I studied at first with Cliff's but I really learned everything with Feralis and a few other sources/videos. I am going through Feralis a third time and even though i haven't memorized EVERYTHING...I will keep reading the notes once or twice. And yeah Bootcamp does focus a lot on embryonic stuff...I suppose those are pretty typical questions...but maybe your test was different. I just took a Kaplan free test 2 days and they had a lot of ecology/animal diversity quetisons...so that's smth that I definitely want to focus on.

Thanks! for the info. Haha again congrats on those scores. And GC is sooooo good! 13 more days and I'm done too :)

Reactions: shaocat

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Hi everyone!
I took the DAT on Monday, August 8th. A bit of background: I am a neuroscience major and a rising junior. That being said, I have taken only one intro biology course (bad decision), but have all of general chemistry and all of organic chemistry completed.

Here’s my breakdown:

PAT: 22
QR: 27
RC: 21
BIO: 23
GC: 30
OC: 27
TS: 25
AA: 26

I followed a modified version of Ari’s schedule, only studying five days a week instead of six to accommodate my part time job. A typical day for me included studying from 9am-1pm, some form of working out (to keep my brain from shutting down on me) and working for the rest of the day. I also left an extra five days at the end of Ari’s schedule so I could review on my own time and tie up some loose ends. For each problem that I got wrong/guessed right/had answer choices that were unfamiliar, I wrote down the question accompanied by the answer and an explanation of each answer choice.

Materials I used:

1) Chad’s Videos (1x): very comprehensive. If you watch this and do gen chem/orgo destroyer, you will be set. What he writes on the whiteboard, you write down in your notebook. Take the quiz and review your notes at the end of the day. I ended up not watching his QR videos because I felt that Math Destroyer was a much better tool.

2) Cliff’s AP Bio (1x): Took notes by hand. I started off with an incredibly weak background in plants, developmental biology, diversity, and human reproduction, which I think this book covers really well. Cliff’s is lacking a bit in terms of human physiology, but is a good tool to read before you start Bio Destroyer.

3) Math Destroyer (1x): SO HELPFUL. QR is the one place that you don’t want to lose points. Destroyer teaches you how to solve those couple of questions you can’t quite remember how to do from algebra 2 and also helps build endurance.

4) DAT Destroyer (2x): Very, very helpful for me, especially in biology. Covers a huge range of topics. You’re going to want to do this at least twice so that everything really sinks in. Though I found myself becoming extremely frustrated from getting so many questions wrong, Destroyer was really the resource that helped me build mental stamina. For this resource especially, make sure you look up any answer choices you are unfamiliar with!

5) DAT Bootcamp (1x): The most similar material to what’s actually on the test. Allows you to become comfortable with the online format that you’ll be face to face with come testing day. Ari does a great job at explaining why the answer is correct and, more importantly, why other choices are wrong. Great resource for the full length tests and PAT generators. However, I found that PAT tests 6-10 were WAY harder than the real thing (1-5 were definitely more accurate).

My scores for each section of bootcamp:​

BIO: 21/18/20/23/22 AVG: 20.8
GC: 20/20/30/21/21 AVG: 22.4
OC: 27/22/25/29/28 AVG: 26.2
PAT: 19/20/20/20/20/23/21/23/22/20 AVG: 20.8
RC: 21/22/22/24/22 AVG: 22.2
QR: 30/25/22/30/25/30/23/30/30/22 AVG: 26.7

6) 2007 Official Practice Test: Orgo and the PAT were much too easy on this test. I made a lot of dumb mistakes on bio, which prompted me to heavily review during the last five days before my test.

BIO: 19/GC: 21/OC: 30/QR: 29/RC: 20/PAT: 22
AA: 24

7) 2009 Official Practice Test: Like a lot of others have said, QR on this section is insane. Lots of weird mirror problems that you won’t have enough time to solve on here, so don’t take your QR score too much into account on this test. I found this test as a pdf somewhere on SDN, and the answer key was riddled with mistakes. Of the two practice tests, this test was the most similar to the actual exam (excluding QR and PAT, which was too easy).

BIO: 21/GC: 24/OC: 20/RC: 21/QR: 19/PAT: 24
AA: 21

ACTUAL DAT
Best advice is to BE CONFIDENT and DON’T DOUBT YOURSELF! Take some deep breaths, focus, and power through the exam. You get two thin sharpie-like pens and two laminated sheets of paper that you can exchange when you fill up.

1) BIO/23
This has always been my hardest section, and it was no different on the actual DAT. No matter how much you study for bio, there are always doing to be a couple questions on some topic you’ve never seen before. Breadth over depth! In the end, I had about eight questions marked that I made guesses on.

2) CHEM/30
Problems on this section were very, very similar to those on Bootcamp. Nothing really notable.

3) ORGO/27
Again, very similar to Bootcamp. If you complete all of Bootcamp’s practice tests and do destroyer x2, you will score well on gen chem and orgo.

4) PAT/22
This section was most similar to Bootcamp tests 1-5. Compared to Bootcamp, I found keyholes to be easier, TFE to be a tiny bit harder, angle ranking the same, hole punching easier, cube counting the same, and pattern folding easier.

5) READING COMP/21
I never grasped the search and destroy method, so I opted for the “vanilla” method of just reading the entire passage and writing down keywords in each paragraph. In the end, I ran out of time to check the last ~five answers I put down.

6) QR/27
This section was harder than Bootcamp in my opinion, but still far from Destroyer level. The key to this section is to be fast and make sure you’re reading the question correctly. Again, Destroyer will teach you everything you need to know.

Last bits of advice: supplement your summer of studying with something else. Working a part time job is doable (I worked 17h/week), and so is letting yourself have fun and take breaks (I ended up going on vacation for a week and limiting myself to two weekend-long concerts). Studying day in and day out is exhausting, and your brain needs to relax! Keep yourself healthy and whatever you do, don’t lose your motivation. GOOD LUCK!

View attachment 207758
Wow! Congratulations! Simply amazing scores! To get scores like these I am sure you have a GPA to match!

Enjoy the rest of summer and celebrate these scores!

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: shaocat and DC206R

Don Kim

5+ Year Member
May 11, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Congratulations!! *high five* I admire your GC and QR scores, and I completely agree with everything you said. I did not do as well in QR, but maybe I should have went through all of math destroyer haha. Rest up and enjoy the rest of the summer you do deserve it and more :)

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Congratulations!! *high five* I admire your GC and QR scores, and I completely agree with everything you said. I did not do as well in QR, but maybe I should have went through all of math destroyer haha. Rest up and enjoy the rest of the summer you do deserve it and more :)
Lol we really disappointed ourselves in that QR bud ;(

WheatLom

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Good job man, i think you'll maybe get like 1 or 2 interviews ahahaha. Awesome score, congrats.

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I'd think destroyer, feralis, tyjacobs has that covered.