80hrs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just looking for an update regarding the new 80hr work week.

What are you opinions of this regulation?

Is it being followed? Are residents only working 80hrs, or are they only clocking in for 80 and working more?

Also, I know that they attempted to put a limit on the numbers of hours, but do most residents approach this many hours a week?
If you look at freida, most say ~60hrs a week. Do residents consistiently work 80hr weeks?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

101 views and not a single person has anything to say. Its a shame.

HI jarrod_dale,

...From what i understand most residency programas are following the 80hr work week. My wife is a resident and she actually thinks it's working out well for her. The program i recently matched into also follows the regulations strictly. Depending on the rotation you do, you may actually end up working a lot less than 80 hrs week.

take care,
Ahmed

80 hours is the law (i think). so yeah its followed. depends on the specialty whether its closer to 60 or to 80. the general surgery residencies i looked at this year have their residents working about 80 hours per week and from what i could tell don't seem to be lying about it.

peace man.

Originally posted by jarrod_dale
I am just looking for an update regarding the new 80hr work week.

What are you opinions of this regulation?

Is it being followed? Are residents only working 80hrs, or are they only clocking in for 80 and working more?

Also, I know that they attempted to put a limit on the numbers of hours, but do most residents approach this many hours a week?
If you look at freida, most say ~60hrs a week. Do residents consistiently work 80hr weeks?

Thanks

every program i have been in contact with follows the 80 hour rule. sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. it puts more responsibility on the resident to learn at home. the hours you put in are probably going to be the same, it's just a matter of if you are in the hospital or not.

in my experience the 80 hour week is kinda like HIPAA. people are so paranoid about violating it that they will err on the side of kicking you out of the hospital before they risk violating it and having the smack laid down on them.

i think hours varies on the service. IM is hour intensive, and 12 hours workdays aren't uncommon. surgery can have hellacious days as well. something like path, rads, or derm are probably never going to work 12 hours.

just my $.02

your friendly neighborhood caveman

101 views and not a single person has anything to say. Its a shame.

Many previous threads on this subject, use the search function and you will see many answers. Many of us have opinions but not the time or energy to restate them every other week.

Originally posted by DoctorDoom
Many previous threads on this subject, use the search function and you will see many answers. Many of us have opinions but not the time or energy to restate them every other week.

You should know that medicine is an area that undergoes rapid changes.

The 80hr rule is a fairly new rule, for most areas, and I wanted to get the opinions of those in contact with it now, in action. While the search function provided info on my topic, I was more interested in current opinions.

If you don't have time to post, then how can you afford to post negatively. Myself, or anyone else on the board doesn't need you to fill our productive threads with useless posts.

I am sure you will read this, and waste another minute of your time, go ahead and post a respone. You will look real tough.

The 80hr rule is a fairly new rule, for most areas, and I wanted to get the opinions of those in contact with it now, in action. While the search function provided info on my topic, I was more interested in current opinions.

If you don't have time to post, then how can you afford to post negatively. Myself, or anyone else on the board doesn't need you to fill our productive threads with useless posts.

I am sure you will read this, and waste another minute of your time, go ahead and post a respone. You will look real tough.

LOL... not a very PEACE-ful post...

Calm down, and if you weren't so busy whining you would have realized I was trying to explain why so many people had viewed but not posted, and maybe even trying to help you get some answers.

As for the rest of your passive-aggressive post... LMAO!! Please keep up your fantasy of being a moderator. Bitching and moaning when people on a BBS don't jump and answer your questions as soon as you stamp your feet and hold your breath is also very entertaining. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!

calm down dd.

Do not be lulled into the false illusion that residents are always only working 80 hrs.

First remember, it is an average of 80 hrs (over 2 weeks).

Secondly, while the RRC does mandate that programs adhere to its policies regarding work hours, many programs are having difficulty doing so. While I cannot specifically speak for any programs that are requiring residents to lie about their hours, I am sure its happening. Residents find themselves in a difficult position - lie about your hours and you compromise your moral principles; be honest and run the risk of program probation or loss of accreditation.

The problem will probably get worse before it gets better. Programs, especially smaller ones, will be forced to hire my physician extenders and or require the attendings to do more work, do cases uncovered, etc.

it isn't just lying about your hours to keep your program from getting into trouble. Some choose to fudge their hours so they can get a better educational experience. I would rather stay late and do some cases than punch a time clock. I didn't go into surgery to have a good lifestyle...I did it to learn to operate.

I know some surgery interns that say the 80hrs/week is a joke. It's a top school in the country, and they said usually more like 100, unless on an easy surgery rotation.

Everybody always bitches and complains when the RRC/ACGME lays down the hammer on a program thats been breaking the rules (e.g. Hopkins, Yale) but the posts on this forum illustrate EXACTLY why such a heavy handed approach is necessary.

I hope all the programs who think they can get away with breaking the rules get their accreditation revoked.

Then we'll see how cavalier they are about how they dont need the RRC to tell them how to do things.

Why ask for info and then insult a guy for responding? You went a little overboard with your response.

I suggest you make nice or get lost.

As for me, I haven't been working more than 80 hours a week.

Peace out

Originally posted by edinOH
Why ask for info and then insult a guy for responding? You went a little overboard with your response.

I suggest you make nice or get lost.

As for me, I haven't been working more than 80 hours a week.

Peace out

Why post this? You ruin a perfectly good thread. There is no point to this post.

It was a misunderstanding, and we got past that. Why bring it up again?

Can you say troll? The only reason you would post this is to stir up controversy. Get a life.

I don't work over 80 hours a week. But EM has never been a big violator of this rule, in general.

surgeons in general have a much harder time meeting the obligation since they have both floor and OR responsibilities. most programs are in compliance (or close), but sometimes it's not a matter of programs, just inefficient individuals.

i do want to say though that i think these work hour rules are ridiculous. most of us who are worth our MD degree want to stay as long as it takes to take care of our patients and don't appreciate a bunch of bureaucrats who don't understand what we do day to day dictating how we operate in our program (at least that's how a majority of people both in my old med school and current residency program feel). most of the time we get out in time frames that meet the RRC requirements anyway, but it's irritating to always have that issue hanging over your head.