9/3/11 DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crackedbytheDAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Breakdown: AA: 22 (97), TS: 23 (98.1), PAT: 25 (99)

I studied for about 2 months and about 5 weeks really hardcore at the end. About 8 hrs a day, except Sunday for about 5 hours.

OC: DAT Destroyer is the way to go, but like some people have already said, use it as a textbook and not like a question book. Read and really understand the concepts behind the questions. For my version of the test, some of the questions were kinda random and not covered in Destroyer. However, I think that a 20+ is more than attainable with this resource. KBB is a fat waste of time if you even have a mediocre understanding of orgo like I did before studying for this test. I have only taken one semester and my teacher was just out to fail people for fun, but I still don't think that the KBB taught me a whole lot.

GC: Similar to above. Dat Destroyer all the way. The test is relatively straight forward. There are a few concepts that are a little more obscure but Destroyer covers those.

Bio: Topscore and the 2 free tests on DatQVault. DatQVault's questions are veryyy similar to the DAT. If I were to give this test again, I would certainly buy the full test. It's a good investment.

RC: Do all of the TopScore tests to prepare for this section. I've heard CDR is good but I didn't buy it so I can't review it. TopScore can be completely search and destroyed, but I wouldn't recommend that strategy. The passages on TopScore are more challenging than the real thing, but the real thing has more inference questions so Search and Destroy isn't as effective. I just wrote small notes for each paragraph and after reading the passage in 7-9 minutes I answered all the questions. I didn't get the physics passage thankfully.

QR: CDM is too easy. I was averaging between 38 and 39 out of 40 each time on that. TopScore is closer to the real thing but still not exact. Know your trig, geometry, and standard deviations and variance. I got 2 questions on standard dev and variance. If you know those things, the key to doing well is speed.

PAT: CDP and TopScore were my main resources. CDP is pretty accurate and TopScore is not as accurate but it's decent practice. My advice for those who are struggling is break the sections down and focus on one part at a time. Develop a strategy that works for you and stick with it. With enough practice, it will start to click. Keyholes, TFE, and Angles are on par with CDP. Cube counting and hole punching are easier on the real thing. Pattern Folding is slightly harder on the real thing.

Thanks to you all once again! I realize my score isn't groundbreaking by SDN standards, but I'm thrilled :D My breakdown is pretty repetitive from other breakdowns, but i'll be happy to answer any questions if you would like more info. Time to....:sleep:
\

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's great. datQvault has me all freaked out about cladistics. Taxonomy i can do... cladistics feels like greek.